Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

RAM question

• Please log in to reply

TFPoG

TFPoG

• Pip
  • 7 posts
Ok so, I'm trying to buy more RAM for my computer without having to go through the whole expensive process of buying it through our local computer centre. However, I have no clue about this whole latency ordeal; does the latency have to equal my processor speed to be efficient, or is it just that the higher the latency the more efficient the memory works, or am I just entirely wrong all together? :tazz:

Advertisements

GeneralAres

GeneralAres

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 244 posts
Latency has to do with the access and refresh timings of your Memory (RAM). Buying lower latency Memory (RAM) say CAS 1.5 as opposed to CAS 2.0 will offer some improvement in performance. It has nothing to do with your Processing Speed. You do have to buy memory that is compatible with your Mainboard. and Processor.

Edited by admin, 29 November 2005 - 11:31 PM.