Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Motherboard upgrade, hard drive dies?

• Please log in to reply

AaronW

AaronW

• Pip
  • 2 posts
So, I went out and upgraded from an ASUS to an ASRock. I did this so I could also change from an Intel Celeron to an AMD Athlon 64. So I trade everything out, and I boot up. Windows won't start right.

I'm using Grub as a boot loader. My PC is a dual boot between Fedora Core 3 and Windows XP Professional. Windows is slave.

Anyway, Grub claims it doesn't know what format the drive is in, and keeps going, then says NTLDR not found. Last time I upgraded my Motherboard, I got a GPF, and was told to just use my recovery CD. Everything worked out pretty cleanly. My Recovery CD is for a DELL. My computer isn't a DELL anymore. That CD won't even load anymore. It stops after 'detecting device settings' and just black screens.

So, after about a week of fighting with it, I decide to go back to the old motherboard. It wasn't in a sense of giving up, I just really wanted to play San Andreas again. I hook everything back up, outside the case. This is where I am now. I got the SAME ERROR. :tazz:

What I get out of this is that I've got a problem with the hard drive, or a problem with the hard drive cable. Am I really off? Anyone have any ideas? It's probably something really obvious.

;) Any help is appreciated.

Advertisements

nost

nost

banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts
try getting into bios and putting yor boot device as cd-rom then hdd then floppy and when it says boot from cd boot it and reinstall windows thats why it says cant find NTLDR because no windows is currently on your hard drive

AaronW

AaronW

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Well crap. Before I traded out the motherboard, there was lots of stuff on that hard drive, including windows. -sigh- I guess this is what I get for years of meddling in super science..

Do you think maybe hopefully it's just the cable, and it can't read it? I'll try replacing the cable and such before I do anything /drastic/ but my only means of installing are my recovery CD right now. My comp's boot order is already CD Floppy Hard drive, would putting HD before Floppy make any difference? Meh.. I'm gonna end up wasting $100 bucks on a new win disk, aren't I? Note above, my current one doesn't pass the detecting hardware devices screen when first loading. ={

Thanks for your help though. Seriously.