Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

change back to domain

• Please log in to reply

freddy_15

freddy_15

• Pip
  • 7 posts
well i was trying to connect my two computers reconize each other, and i was told to make the workgroups the same, i did so, and then i needed to restart my computer so i did so. so i changed the domain to a workgroup, and when i tried to log into windows, i can't cause i changed the domain, in which it doesn't recognize me any more. I hope that make since, i just want to get this computer working again. pleast help

Advertisements

cewashler

cewashler

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
Freddy_15,

My first question for you is - are these computers on a server-based network? If they are, you will need to rejoin them to the domain to get back in with your username, if they use to be, but are not any longer, you need a local computer account in order to log into them.

CEW

freddy_15

freddy_15

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
yeah, it used to be. It belonged to my dads work, but then they gave it to us. so how would i do that thing you said, step by step,
Thanks for the help

cewashler

cewashler

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
This may not be an easy fix, Freddy_15. :tazz: The first thing to try is make sure the "log in to" drop down box says "computername (this computer)" (which it should since you have changed to a workgroup instead of the domain) for username, put in "administrator" (without the quotes), and leave the password blank. If the person who originally set up the computer was a lazy admin, this will actually get you in. However, if they were a security conscious admin, this will most likely not get you in.

If you are not able to get in with this, my next suggestion would be to see if the network admin at your dad's office can give you the local account info to get you into the computer. If this fails, the easiest way to get in is to use a password cracker. This one Loginrecovery is one that I have used in the past and it will most likely get you in.

Once you are in, let me know, and we will get things back up and working correctly all the way around.

CEW