Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

I Need BF2 to run well, what card should I buy?

• Please log in to reply

Keyne

Keyne

• Pip
  • 6 posts
Hey guys I'm planning on getting BF2 really soon but as of right now my graphics card cant even run the game... Anyway I'm prepared to spend $150 at the absolute max for a decent graphics card.

Here are my system Specs:

Intel Pentium 4 1.8Ghz
764Mb RDRAM
GeForce2 MX 400 64Mb (Want to Replace it)

umm so anyway I know 256mb on a video card doesn't necessarily mean better performance caause I found this website: http://www.pcvsconso...features/video/

and my computer has an AGP slot btw

thx in advance!!

Advertisements

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
tis an old chart that. Well by the looks of it the rest of the pc is as much a downfall as the graphics card. The cpu is going to be border line for low settings even with a really good graphics card that you cant afford, a 150 is ony goinf to et you a mediocre card.
My advice save your money and get a new pc later.

Double-0-Villain

Double-0-Villain

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I have a amd athlon xp 2200+,512 mb ram and a geforce fx 5200 64mb

i have no problem running it although it is at low but i'm getting my new pc by end of next month that will be:

Asus A8N Sli deluxe
AMD Athlon 64 3500+
512 mb Corsair Value Select Ram
Antech True Power II 550W Sli certified
Asus Extreme N6800 GT 256MB GDDR3

If anyone can comment on what i want, i would appreciate it.

Metalive

Metalive

• PipPipPip
  • 225 posts
I would say drop the SLI mobo, unless you are dead set on running two GPU's, and know the ins and outs on how to configure it.

And up the ram to 1024mb (512 will be holding you back), and you will have a pretty nice system.

As for the topic creator, take Scot's advice. Just save up and go for a new PC.

Edited by Metalive, 15 August 2005 - 01:59 PM.

Double-0-Villain

Double-0-Villain

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Sorry that was a typing error for the ram i am going with 2x 512 chips, cause i heard it less hassle than 1x 1gb chip. the reason i'm going with the sli mobo is upgrade possibilities eg if you flash the bios the mobo is capable of running a duel core cpu and want to go with 2 7800gt gpu's at a later stage.

RockyIV

RockyIV

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 710 posts
I have a Geforce Radeon x700 128mb at 764Mhz and plays Halo and Rome Total War very well! Not sure how it would play BF2? These are my system specs:
3.2GHz Processor Pentium 4
1024MB Ram
200HDD
So I'm happy with I got! Itz up to you!
Regards RockyIV

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Its not just the motherboard you need to flash it is both the graphics cards research this more! It is very risky and there is a fair chance you can make not one but two cards completely useless. I would only ever reccomend SLI if someone is doing it when they build there pc with a pair of 7800s i cant think of any other circumstances where it would be viable. Also the fact that the cards have to be identical is really stupid because the next generation single card solutions are usually more than twice as powerful.
If you really want to use two gfx cards try the crossfire system it is much easier to use and a more efficeint system.

Keyne

Keyne

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Well against your advice i went out and bought a radeon 9800pro (20+ gig bandwith mind you) and bf2 runs extremely smooth on med settings... So turns out a new computer was NOT the right way to go

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
You said "I need bf2 to run well" At medium settings isnt well, as you would see if you ran it on a pc capable of running on high. That pc isnt going to be able to run anything much past bf2 wether it will play the new unreal tournament for example is also questionable. You have also wasted money on a relatively powerful gfx card that will be substantially bottlenecked. We didnt say that it wouldnt work, it just wasnt the best option.

Keyne

Keyne

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
well with all the stuff i put into this comp i think im gonna go the extra mile and get a new power supple a new motherboard and a new processor to fix that

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Essentially the daft way of buying a new pc. lol. Before you bought the gfx card you should have thought about future upgrades, all the best mobos are pci-e you now have an agp card which upgrading is going to be limited to a best of a x850 agp a rare thing indeed,they dont make new agp cards anymore so that was half the reason we were reccomending a whole new pc.And you wont be able to keep the ram on a new motherboard either..