Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Unable to surf web, but Network connection is fine

• Please log in to reply

brk2000

brk2000

• PipPip
  • 22 posts
I have 3 computers experiencing the same or similar (not sure) problems. 2 of the PCs are Windows XP (1 Home Edition and 1 Professional Edition) and the other is a Windows 2000 Small Business Server. All 3 computers are able to browse files, folders, and computers on the network. However, all 3 computers are unable to surf the web, view Network Neighborhood Properties, view existing Network connections, or view Internet Explorer Menu - Tools | Internet Options | Connections Tab. I ran SpyBot and Ad-aware and removed any problems. These computers all have the lastest .dat files for McAfee Virus Scan as well as the latest Windows Updates. Any ideas or help would be most greatly appreciated.

Thanks!!

Advertisements

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
I presume they're hooked to a router? Can you get to the router's access page and check the status to see whether it is connected to the web? Look in the router handbook to find out how.

agent1102

agent1102

• PipPip
  • 21 posts
Try this:

Start --> Run
Type cmd
Type ipconfig /all
post the results here but replace the last set in each number with *
(example: if the ip is 127.0.0.1 post 127.0.0.*)

brk2000

brk2000

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
Thanks for your responses...

Tyger - These are just a few of the computers in a 40-50 pc network. All the other PCs connect to the internet fine...all via the same router.

agent1102 - Not sure why you require this information or how it would help you help me...Sorry, but I don't feel comfortable posting this information.

Thanks again.

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
the 2 computers are they hooked to the 2000 server and are these the only ones that look at that server