Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Linksys Wireless Router

• Please log in to reply

ppotter

ppotter

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I have been using my Linksys BEFW11S4 v.2 wireless router for several years. This past weekend a friend was having problems with her router, so I lent her the router for troubleshooting while I was out of town.

When I came back and plugged everything in, the router does not find the modem anyomore. I can connect my computer to the modem directly and get a connection, and I can plug the computer into the router and the router finds the connected computers, but the router will not talk to the modem to get an Internet connection.

I've been trying all morning to connect to the Linksys site to troubleshoot, but the site has been off and on all morning.

Any ideas?

Advertisements

chicagotech

chicagotech

• PipPipPip
  • 197 posts
try to re-set to factory settings. Does the router talks to the modem?

ppotter

ppotter

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Thanks for the input.

I did try resetting to factory settings, but that didn't work.

I finally got onto Linksys's LiveChat support who directed me to downloading their auto-configure .exe program. Luckily, the Linksys site was up long enough for me to download the program (www.linksys.com/connect and choose Netset Assistant), and it within 5 min. the router was reconfigured.

Although, I'm wondering why the router got reconfigured when my friend plugged into her computer, but did not reconfigure when I did the same upon the return of the equipment. Doesn't really make sense to me.

Thanks for the help, though!