Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

CD Rom & CD Re-Write

• Please log in to reply

stevebryan

stevebryan

• Pip
  • 7 posts
Hello,

The computer totally stopped working. I re-loaded windows 98 but now neither the CD Rom or the CD writer are working. The computer isn't recognising either drives and I can't find their set-up discs. Without these drives I can't load any other programmes or devices.
Can anybody help me to get either drive working?

Advertisements

bdlt

bdlt

• PipPipPip
  • 876 posts
here's one idea:

find drivers on the net for each device and copy them to a floppy disk or cd. you may need to create a different folder for each device. then use the add hardware option and direct the wizard to the floppy or cd when it asks for the driver location.

stevebryan

stevebryan

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Computer not allowing me to manually configure ISP so I can't get to the net.
I've removed both the CD Rom & the rewriter and neither give any clue to their manufacturer.

I am of the conclusion that the PC is totally knackered and perhaps to build new from scratch will be a better option. :tazz:

bdlt

bdlt

• PipPipPip
  • 876 posts
do you have access to another PC? if so, try using belarc to get the CD mfg info.

when you reconnect the devices, does windows detect new hardware on bootup?

stevebryan

stevebryan

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
My other computer is a laptop running windows XP. I've run belarc on this and am considerably impressed. I am now looking for a pal(?) who will allow me to install my devices in their PC and run belarc.
To answer the second question - windows isn't detecting either device.
Also the computer will not allow me to install my ISP details manually.
Basically I have a windows operating system (I think), but no way of installing any software, other than on floppy 3 1/2 " disc, which is the only operating device.

Something, somewhere isn't working correctly - probably the operator who is nearer a computer dunce than geek. :tazz:

Edited by stevebryan, 18 August 2005 - 01:02 AM.

bdlt

bdlt

• PipPipPip
  • 876 posts
why not copy belarc to a floppy(from the laptop) and then onto your pc?

stevebryan

stevebryan

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
That worked. I now know exactly what manufacturers components are attached to the PC., but I still cannot get onto the internet to download their drivers. The computer will not allow me to enter my ISP details either with disc or manually.
Would it help you if I posted the Belarc Profile?

bdlt

bdlt

• PipPipPip
  • 876 posts
please post the belarc info on the CD drives.

now that you have the drive info, download the drivers to 2 different floppies using the laptop. then run "add hardware" on the PC.

Start>Settings>Control Panel>Add Hardware

when it asks for the location of the drivers, insert a floppy and enter a: in the location field. repeat for the other device.

if they install successfully, then open a new thread for the ISP problem.

if the devices are not found or the drives fail to work, then we want to create a boot disk and see if the CD drives will run with generic drivers. one of the drives obviously worked before since windows 98 was just reinstalled. was this a fresh install - i.e. everything was reinstalled(nothing preserved)? if so, we will probably do the install again. the reinstall may take care of the ISP and CD issues. please do not start any reinstall until posting the results from adding the CD hardware.

does this make sense?

stevebryan

stevebryan

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Your reply does make sense. :tazz:

Belarc's listing:-

Under "Other Devices"
Mitsumi CD-ROM Controller with Double Speed Drive.
MKEPanasonic CD-ROM drive
Sony Proprietary CD-ROM Controller

Attached Files

bdlt

bdlt

• PipPipPip
  • 876 posts
using the laptop, try to find drivers for Mitsumi CD-ROM Controller with Double Speed Drive and download them to a floppy.

then run "add hardware" on the PC.

Start>Settings>Control Panel>Add Hardware

when it asks for the location of the drivers, insert a floppy and enter a: in the location field. if successful, test the drive. repeat for the other device, if successful.

please post results whether successful or not.

stevebryan

stevebryan

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Downloaded 4 diferent drivers from Mitsumi.
Tried them all, one at a time.
Nothing happened.
I agree with you that the CD-ROM drive did work. I re-loaded Windows 98 with it.
So why is it not working now?

You're the Geek, I'm the Dunce. What next??
I'm all for re-loading Windows again!
How do we do it?
:tazz:

bdlt

bdlt

• PipPipPip
  • 876 posts
we're almost ready to reload win98.

questions first:
did the add hardware wizard find the drive?
were there any error messages?
how about any other details on what happened?

bdlt

bdlt

• PipPipPip
  • 876 posts
please answer the questions in post #12.

before we install win98, we need to see if the cdrom will work with the generic drivers used by the boot disk.

if you don't have a win98 boot disk, please create one:
Start>Settings>Control Panel>Add/Remove Programs>Startup Disk>Create Disk
follow the instructions

next we want to change the boot order to floppy, cdrm, hard drive. on reboot press F2(or the key displayed during bootup for setup). find the boot device screen and use the '+' or '-' keys to change the boot order. save, then exit.

insert the floppy and reboot. insert the win98 cd and select 'With CDROM Support' option. please post any error messages. this is where we can see if the cdrom will work with generic drivers.

So why is it not working now?

I'm hoping there were errors in the previous installation during the last phase - hardware installation. it's important that you watch the entire install process so you can report any errors.
there's a slim possiblility that there's a hardware problem with the cd drives. it's unlikely, but me may do some more testing before we reinstall win98.

please go to the Win95/95/ME forum and review the pinned topics

http://www.geekstogo...s-98-t9803.html

and

http://www.geekstogo...98-95-t479.html.

please read the topics above, but don't start yet. some of the steps may differ from the pinned topics.

bdlt

bdlt

• PipPipPip
  • 876 posts
an unsuccesful reinstall attempt resulted in error messages referring to the following:

WINDOWS\SYSTEM\PRECOPY

VNETBIOS.VXD

the following link is for WINDOWS\SYSTEM\PRECOPY http://board.iexbeta...php/t39670.html
to summarize - for some reason the default path came up as c:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\PRECOPY. the solution was to change the path to d:\win98.

we proceeded to reinstall win98 using the installing win98 from this site, going one step at a time looking for references to WINDOWS\SYSTEM\PRECOPY.

the WINDOWS\SYSTEM\PRECOPY and VNETBIOS.VXD never happened. it appears that all of the harware installed correctly. the cd drives now work.

there is one issue after the install. the hard drive is 80GB, but win98 limits the the usable part to 37 GB. I recommended starting a new thread to deal with the 37 GB issue.