Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows problem

• Please log in to reply

John1313

John1313

Banned

• Banned
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
I'm posting for a friend/neighbor. I'm usually able to fix most problems, but this one has me stumped.

The problem is that his computer randomly freezes up at certain points. The only way to unfreeze it is by pressing alt + cntrl + delete or by pressing alt + tab. I've run just about every malware and virus remover known to man and his comp isn't infected.

This leads me to believe that it has to be a windows problem. I've asked him if he had his windows xp disk or some type of a backup but he doesn't. System restore was turned off as well.

Oh and a big note: this problem happens in safe mode too with just the basic programs running.

Here's a list of what I've done. I understand if you want me to repeat some of this stuff because it could be procedure.

malware/virus scans

- Adaware
- Silent runners
- Ewido (full scan in safe mode with updates)
- Panda online virus scan
- AVG
- Hijackthis (yes I can read logs)
- spybot
- clean up
- about buster
- cws shredder

attempted windows fixes
- made sure hardware was up to date
- installed all windows updates including both service packs
- checked to see if he had enough ram (1 GB)
- reinstalled both service packs

Any help you guys could give me would be very appreciated.

Edited by John1313, 21 August 2005 - 04:56 PM.

Advertisements

yardguard

yardguard

• PipPipPip
  • 135 posts
Maybe you could try uninstalling SP2....That service pack tends to give some puters more headeaches than help.

Just a Thought....

John1313

John1313

Banned

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Maybe you could try uninstalling SP2....That service pack tends to give some puters more headeaches than help.

Just talked to my friend and he said he already tried that. I gave it a go anyway and no luck...

There's a couple of things I think it could be but don't know how to fix:

1) computer is overheating - don't know how to check temperature and don't know what temperature it should be at.

2) resources could be managed wrong - I'm not familiar with the paging file and don't know what it should be set at

3) motherboard could need updated - don't know how to identify what kind of board he has.

Edited by John1313, 21 August 2005 - 04:59 PM.

yardguard

yardguard

• PipPipPip
  • 135 posts
1) If you suspect over-heating the remove a side panel and run the computer for a while and see if any difference. (I do this if I think I have a heat prob)

2) I believe the paging file has an option to let windows choose what's best...I believe I'd select this.(I've never had a prob with the paging file)

3) http://www.duxcw.com...shop/mb/det.htm
above is a link that has some utilities that can identify your MB

HTH

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
You can use Everest to check temps and hardware:
http://www.lavalys.com/

Use the cd to run a System File Check, too.
In a cmd window, type sfc /scannow (note the space)

Johanna

Edited by Czarina, 22 August 2005 - 04:24 AM.