Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

lsass.exe is killing CPU usage...

• Please log in to reply

scottyttran

scottyttran

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hi,

recently for some strange reason, the program lsass.exe is using excessively a tremendous amount of memory. When my computer startup it uses around 7,000kb of memory. I leave the computer on for 30 minutes and come back, the number jump to 300,000kb. It have go as high as 500,000+kb . The lowest that I can keep track of now of the program is around 150,000kb and keep increases at every passing minutes. Please help as this tremendously slow down my whole system and pretty much limits the performance of all the programs I am trying to run. I run my virus scan and antivirus program and it all comes out clean. Thank you in advance for your help.

Scotty

Advertisements

trouduc

trouduc

• PipPip
  • 26 posts

Hi,

recently for some strange reason, the program lsass.exe is using excessively a tremendous amount of memory.  When my computer startup it uses around 7,000kb of memory.  I leave the computer on for 30 minutes and come back, the number jump to 300,000kb.  It have go as high as 500,000+kb .  The lowest that I can keep track of now of the program is around 150,000kb and keep increases at every passing minutes. Please help as this tremendously slow down my whole system and pretty much limits the performance of all the programs I am trying to run.  I run my virus scan and antivirus program and it all comes out clean.  Thank you in advance for your help.

Scotty

View Post

Assuming you are running Windows XP Pro.

1. http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com/
(Apply all updates and reboot as necessary)

2. Reboot as necessary

3. If problems persist run these two commands consecutively
chkdsk c: /f
sfc /scannow

5. If problems persist, it is possible you've contracted a sickness in the form of a:
W32.Sasser.something
Backdoor.Futro
Trojan.Webus.B
W32.Nimos.Worm
Backdoor.IRC.Ratsou.D
W32.Ahker.F@mm
W32.Ahker.G@mm
Backdoor.Queen
Backdoor.Lassrv
Backdoor.IRC.Ratsou.B
or other...

Create HiJackThis log and post in the Malware forum.

scottyttran

scottyttran

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Assuming you are running Windows XP Pro.

1. http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com/
(Apply all updates and reboot as necessary)

2. Reboot as necessary

3. If problems persist run these two commands consecutively

chkdsk c: /f
sfc /scannow

5. If problems persist, it is possible you've contracted a sickness in the form of a:
W32.Sasser.something
Backdoor.Futro
Trojan.Webus.B
W32.Nimos.Worm
Backdoor.IRC.Ratsou.D
W32.Ahker.F@mm
W32.Ahker.G@mm
Backdoor.Queen
Backdoor.Lassrv
Backdoor.IRC.Ratsou.B
or other...

Create HiJackThis log and post in the Malware forum.

View Post

Well I constantly have my window updated so the first step I pretty much try out already. I also try 2 and 3 but so far it eating my memory up in great amount. In a span of less than 1 hour, it acutally uses over 170k of memory and often resulting in my computer slowing down drastically and CPU level rising to 100% . I was wondering if this has anything to do with my firewall or not since I have zone alarm pro on my desktop and sygate on my laptop and both seem to have lsass.exe used lots of memory. Please help me since this problem has persist for a great period of time now . Thank you in advance for you guys time and effort as always. I also run my adaware, spysweeper, and my antivirus program but they all comes out clean . Another problem I was thinking is it may have something to do with one of my download accelerator, Net Transport, because when I ended the program the lsass.exe memory usage started to decrease. Anyhow, any suggestion would be greatly appreciated.

Edited by scottyttran, 25 August 2005 - 06:08 PM.

geekguru

geekguru

• Pip
  • 1 posts
10/06/2007: 11:01PM
My wireless connection kept bouncing. When I checked Task Manager, I saw a process "lsass.exe" consuming from 12% to 98% CPU. But it would go up and down, up and down. I could not terminate the process because Windows thinks it is a critical system process. Even after I lowered the priority on the process, the CPU usage kept going up and down.....
I have Avast Anitvirus and a thorough virus scan did not detect the malicious process. So I downloaded a free ware AVG Free Edition. A thorough scan caught the trojan disguised as "lsass.exe" and terminated the process. My CPU usage has now gone down to normal. I still have to verify if my wireless connection is bounce-free or not.
Here are some more details from AVG's results output:

lsass.exe -> Trojan Horse Generic6.MUW

If possible, just delete the file in the above location.
Hope this helps to anyone who is looking for more information on this trojan.