Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

New video card, need advice..

• Please log in to reply

O5IRI5

O5IRI5

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I'm looking to buy a new video card for my pc, currently i'm running on a very poor geforce mx 4000, i'm looking for something that could run today's games and next-gen ones too, preferably quake 4, elder scrolls 4 oblivion, etc etc. Is anyone familiar with these games, and could tell me whether or not the BFG Geforce 6600 GT OC could take oblivion?? :) If not, i'd be forced to fork over 500$$ for a 6800 series...and money...is definatly an issue here :tazz:

Advertisements

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
From what people have been saying of the 6600GTs BF2 performance i wouldnt say so. If you are getting a 6600T thats the one to get, but if you want to play new games it is a 6800GT or if you have a budget to think of a x800 it will play the new games and here it comes in at the 6600GT price range.

O5IRI5

O5IRI5

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
how long would the x800 be useful before i have to go out and buy a new card? Could this card play doom3 on medium-high specs at a reasonable fps?? I'd be playing fps's and rpg's so i'd like it to be atleast a good 3-5 years if at all possible, btw thanks for the advice :tazz:

Edited by O5IRI5, 16 August 2005 - 11:24 AM.

KGH

KGH

• PipPipPip
  • 101 posts
The 6600GT will play BF2 well on medium - high settings, depending on your other components obviously.

I am using a BFG 6600GT OC with a 4000+ and 1gig Corsair XMS - BF2 medium to high for constantly smooth rates. If you don't mind the occasional slow down, you can put the settings on high.

somepeoplearebornleet

somepeoplearebornleet

• PipPip
  • 60 posts
6600gt can play well on Doom 3. Not on highest graphics though... heh i froze...... :tazz:

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
The difference will the x800 will play BF2 on high settings no lag AND it can use AA and AF where the 6600GT cant the x800 is the same price as a 6600GT and gives 6800GT performance.
It would last the 3-5 years not to say you would get the performance from it as games are always getting more demanding as new hardware gets more powerful. The x800 will last longer than a 6600GT anyway.

O5IRI5

O5IRI5

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
also, i've got alot of Nvidia hardware, would there be any compatability problems running an ati card on a nvidia mobo, n-force audio, alot of nvidia based products? would i do better to add an nvidia vid card, or is it completely irrevelent? :tazz:

Edited by O5IRI5, 25 August 2005 - 11:56 AM.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
I havent had or heard of any problems, my x800xl runs great on my nforce4 ultra mobo.