Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Share cable modem with network switch

• Please log in to reply

Psych

Psych

• PipPip
  • 50 posts
Hi all,
I currently have an external cable modem, connected to my PC via Ethernet.
What I'd like to do is share that internet connection, so I can go online on my laptop while my girlfriend is playing Final Fantasy (for hours, and hours, and hours) online.

I have a network switch (Belkin F5D5131UK8), but wasn't sure whether this would be easy as I think... Is it a simple matter of connecting the cable modem to the switch, and then both PC's to the switch?

If I can do this, do I simply need a couple of CAT-5 cables, or do they need to be crossover cables?

I have a horrible feeling that this is more complicated than it seems... :tazz:

Any advice gratefully received!

Advertisements

chicagotech

chicagotech

• PipPipPip
  • 197 posts
to share the Internet access, you need to setup Windows Internet connection sharing or add a router.

how to setup Windows ICS
How to Setup Internet Connection Sharing (ICS) ... To setup a win9x (in our case) as ICS client to access the internet, you need to do two things. network ...
http://www.howtonetw...Windows/ics.htm

Psych

Psych

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
Thanks Chicago. From what I can see it appears that I just need to use the network wizard. It was more the hardware I was worried about, but I can grab a couple of CAT-5 cables from work, now we moved on to CAT-6 there, so it's worth a try!

Thanks for the advice.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
if your cable modem assigns ip addresses through dhcp all you should have to do is throw the switch inbetween the machines and the modem. then the cable modem will just assign the addresses through the switch.

Psych

Psych

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
Thanks dsenette. It's not going to cost me anything, so I'll give it a try. :tazz: