Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

VERY frequent and random disconnects from internet

• Please log in to reply

Trubadurix

Trubadurix

• PipPip
  • 21 posts
Hi

I'm sorry if this is already answered in other posts, but I'm disconnected ALOT here...webpages rarely completes loading before connection breaks again.

Anyway, I have, or rather I'm supposed to have, a 4000/400 DSL line.
As topic says, my current record is 15 disconnects in 60 seconds.

I've contacted ISP, and they've looked at the line, but can't find anything, it seems.
one time, they mentioned something about an error with "blocks" or something.

I have three computers running on the line. (normally four but the motherboard in one of them decided to die)
They're used for viewing mail and general surfing, occasionally online gaming. One of them run download programs (BitLord and DC++), but these are off as default, only running when noone is using the net anyway, for instance at night.

I have come to believe that the problem is THIS comuputer (the downloading computer)
The reason is that right now, only this computer displays erratic net connection, with that blasted yellow bubble notifying me that I've been disconnected.
in some periods, all computers are disconnected simultaneously, but it seemed the condition improved when THIS computer was turned off.
(at least, my brother said so...it was him who tried that while I was at the uni)

Lan is built like this:

Net
|
Alcatel Speedtouch Home ADSL Modem (provided by ISP)
|
D-Link DI-624 2.4GHz wireless router
|
three computers connected to router via cat5-cable and one via wireless.

I know for a fact that there are spyware on the system, but the problem persisted even when the computer was deemed clean in the malware removal forum.
So I wonder if there's any techical tweaks or updates that can be the source.
(and yes, I'm heading over to that forum again to get it removed)

Any help is greatly appreciated, and if any further system info is needed, please just ask. I have sisoft sandra pro 2005, so complete reports is available if wanted :tazz:

Edited by Trubadurix, 16 August 2005 - 09:14 AM.

Advertisements

zos

zos

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I have a 624 dlink and a speedtouch 530 which does the same but only on windows vista beta 1. I have only had it going a few days and random disconnects so many I lost count. I tried this and it stopped, I took the adsl cable out of the router and plug straight into the pc bingo all is ok. With futher investigation I find its when the adsl is plugged in the router the network will keep disconnecting. Take it out and all is ok. But only happens on vista (longhorn). Also it will disconnect the other pc useing the wireless as well. Hope thet helps. But I still cant use the router on vista yet.
Zos

cleverboy12

cleverboy12

• PipPipPip
  • 687 posts
Hmmm, Could Be An Infection.

To Be Sure If You havent done so already then:

Please Post A HiackThis Log In The Malware Forum

If You Dont Know What HijackThis Is and Dont Know How To Use It Please See Before Posting A HijackThis Log

Please Follow All The Steps Carefully and Start Your Own Topic So That An Expert Can Come Along And Help You Out.

:tazz: Good Luck :)

Trubadurix

Trubadurix

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
hiya, thanks for the help. problem was actually resolved some time ago, forgot about this thread.

several things worked together to wreck my dsl for a period of 5 months.

1) the worst: while having another telephone line installed here, the guy doing the mucking about inside the phone central box-thingy reported that there was an awful lot of disturbance on our line. He said he'd fixed it, whatever it was.

2) Not so bad, but still bad: After a fun little case of around 30000 lightning bolts dropping on our general area, we returned our d-link router to the shop. It seemed ok, but after recieving a new modem (see below) something still didn't work, and the router was the probable suspect. We recieved a new one, this time a 3com product.
The support guy said there'd been a lot of returns and problems with that particular D-link router we had...something they failed to tell us when we ASKED upon purchase...oh well.

3) After the same thunderstorm, our adsl modem died. Completely. We recieved a new one from our isp, another model this time.

4) The cat5-cable leading to the adsl-router was actually coiled up behind my shelves. Have cut new cable that's the correct length, not 2-3 meters too long.

It's been a month or so now since I've been disconnected, so the problem seem to be gone forever.

*yey* :tazz:

Edited by Trubadurix, 19 September 2005 - 05:22 PM.

Pete^2

Pete^2

• PipPip
  • 20 posts
I had a similar problem some months back. Random disconnects. Re-installed modem, re-installed everything I could think of.

It turned out the the Missus had done a bit of decorating and didn't know what "microfilters" were in the phone sockets for, so she took the out and put them in a drawer. I saw them in there one day, put them back in.......... problem solved!!!

Thought about re-installing Missus! Grrrrrrrr

DOH

Trubadurix

Trubadurix

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

It turned out the the Missus had done a bit of decorating and didn't know what "microfilters" were in the phone sockets for

Neither do I...but I suspect it's something similar to what I know as a "splitter"? :tazz:

Thought about re-installing Missus! Grrrrrrrr

I hear there's an upgrade available, and there's an abundance of second-hand ones out there, if you like...but it's really just suitable for those with a special interest :)

Pete^2

Pete^2

• PipPip
  • 20 posts
microfilter.gif

Same thing in the UK I think!

:tazz:

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
Make sure your machines are set to see the router as the proxy, i.e. enter the router's IP as the proxy dns. Also set the router to keep the connection open at all times.