Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Best Web Link & Spyware Sheriff Hijack [CLOSED]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

rabiyazfar

rabiyazfar

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Dear Helper,

System: WINDOWS XP SP1

Problem

My IE kept on being hijacked by Bestweblinks and SPyware Sheriff.

Also my system felt as if it was running slowly.

Steps Taken to date
As per your starting advice in MALWARE REMOVAL i have followed the following steps in sequence:
1 - Run CLEAN UP
2- RUN AD WARE SE
3- RUN CWSHREDDER
4-RUN SPYBOT S&D
5- RUN EWIDO (eventhough I had run McAfee scan earlier in the day)
6- My windows update is on and dowloading patches and updates
7- RUN HIJACK THIS

Please find the EWIDO and HIJACK THIS LOGS below as per your advice.

Lastly, I have McAFEE Security centre 7.0 but it didn't pick up the trojans as picked up by ewido... is this really worth having considering I have just bought it for quite a lot.

Many thanks in advance for your help and look forward to your advice for any other steps.

Attached Files

Advertisements

Excal

Excal

Malware Slayer Extraordinaire!

• Retired Staff
  • 12,739 posts
Hi rabiyazfar and welcome to GeeksToGo! My name is Excal and I will be helping you.

I can see that you have some malware issues. This maybe a few step process in removing it. I encourage you to stick with it and follow my directions as closely as possible so as to avoid complicating the problem further.

(Please post your logs and not attach them...thanks :tazz:)

Please read this post completely, it may make it easier for you if you copy and paste this post to a new text document or print it for reference later.

DOWNLOAD PROGRAMS

Download smitRem.exe and save the file to your desktop.
Double click on the file to extract it to it's own folder on the desktop.

Download and install CleanUp! Here*NOTE* Cleanup deletes EVERYTHING out of temp/temporary folders and does not make backups.
We will use this program later.

Place a shortcut to Panda ActiveScan on your desktop.

Please read Ewido Setup Instructions
Install it, and update the definitions to the newest files. Do NOT run a scan yet.

If you have not already installed Ad-Aware SE 1.06, follow these download and setup instructions, otherwise, check for updates:
Ad-Aware SE Setup
Don't run it yet!

THE FIX

1. Click this link to be sure you can view hidden files.

2. Ensure you are NOT connected to the internet.

3. Reboot into safe mode.

Restart your computer and as soon as it starts booting up again continuously tap F8. A menu should come up where you will be given the option to enter Safe Mode.

4. Close all browsers, windows and unneeded programs.

5. Open HiJack and do a scan.

6. Put a Check next to the following items:

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = about:blank
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Search_URL = http://www.bestwebsl...earch.php?qq=%1
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Bar = http://www.bestwebslinks.com/bar.html
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = http://www.bestwebsl...earch.php?qq=%1
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search,SearchAssistant = http://www.bestwebsl...earch.php?qq=%1
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search,CustomizeSearch = http://www.bestwebsl...earch.php?qq=%1
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\SearchURL,(Default) = http://www.bestwebsl...earch.php?qq=%1
R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Local Page = http://www.bestwebslinks.com/
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {FFFFFFFF-FFFF-FFFF-FFFF-FFFFFFFFFFFA} - C:\WINDOWS\System32\hpBE1E.tmp (file missing)
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [RegSvr32] C:\WINDOWS\System32\msmsgs.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [PSGuard] C:\Program Files\PSGuard\PSGuard.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Microsoft Windows Update] svcshost.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Win32s USB Drivers] spoolcsv.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [WindowsRegKey upd4te2d4te] zfnqcvqzr.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Windows Compliant] sfddcd.exe

7. click the Fix Checked box

8. Please remove just the files from the following paths using Windows Explorer (if present):

C:\WINDOWS\System32\msmsgs.exe

Start>search to find these files:
Windows XP's search feature is a little different. When you click on 'All files and folders' on the left pane, click on the 'More advanced options' at the bottom. Make sure that Search system folders, Search hidden files and folders, and Search subfolders are checked.
svcshost.exe <===make sure its this file
spoolcsv.exe
zfnqcvqzr.exe
sfddcd.exe

9. Open the smitRem folder, then double click the RunThis.bat file to start the tool. Follow the prompts on screen.
Wait for the tool to complete and disk cleanup to finish.

The tool will create a log named smitfiles.txt in the root of your drive, eg; Local Disk C: or partition where your operating system is installed. Please post that log along with all others requested in your next reply.

10. Open Ad-aware and do a full scan. Remove all it finds.

11. Now open and run Ewido:
  • Click on scanner
  • Click Complete System Scan and the scan will begin.
  • During the scan when it ask if you want to clean the first file, put a check in the lower left corner of the box that says "Perform action on all infections" then choose clean and click OK
  • When the scan is finished, look at the bottom of the screen and click the Save report button.
  • Save the report to your desktop
Close Ewido

12. Next go to Control Panel click Display > Desktop > Customize Desktop > Website > Uncheck "Security Info" if present.

13. Run the program CleanUp!

14. Reboot into normal mode and please run this online virus scan: ActiveScan - Save the results from the scan!

15. Please post the Active scan log, Ewido log, smitfiles.txt log and a fresh HiJackThis log. Let me know how your computer is running.

Edited by Excal, 16 August 2005 - 11:54 AM.

rabiyazfar

rabiyazfar

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Dear Excal,

Thanks for coming back so quickly.

I am about to start but wanted tolet yu know that inbetween our communications I have updated my Windows XP to SP2.... all that news about the new worm during this week.

Does this change anything or the sequence of your instructions.

Regards

Excal

Excal

• Retired Staff
  • 12,739 posts
No it doesn't. Its not recommend to install Sp2 while your infected, becasue it may cause issues.

Excal

rabiyazfar

rabiyazfar

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Hi Excal,

Finally... here are the logs:

HIJACK THIS:

Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
Scan saved at 15:04:01, on 29/08/2005
Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP2 (6.00.2900.2180)

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office\WINWORD.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\msagent\AgentSvr.exe
F:\HijackThis\HijackThis.exe

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Window Title = Microsoft Internet Explorer provided by Tesco internet access
O3 - Toolbar: McAfee VirusScan - {BA52B914-B692-46c4-B683-905236F6F655} - c:\progra~1\mcafee.com\vso\mcvsshl.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [DSLSTATEXE] C:\Program Files\Voyager 105 ADSL Modem\dslstat.exe icon
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [DSLAGENTEXE] C:\Program Files\Voyager 105 ADSL Modem\dslagent.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [VSOCheckTask] "c:\PROGRA~1\mcafee.com\vso\mcmnhdlr.exe" /checktask
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [VirusScan Online] "c:\PROGRA~1\mcafee.com\vso\mcvsshld.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [MCAgentExe] c:\PROGRA~1\mcafee.com\agent\mcagent.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [MCUpdateExe] C:\PROGRA~1\mcafee.com\agent\mcupdate.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [MPFExe] C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee.com\PERSON~1\MpfTray.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [MPSExe] c:\PROGRA~1\mcafee.com\mps\mscifapp.exe /embedding
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [MSKAgentExe] C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee\SPAMKI~1\MSKAgent.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [MSKDetectorExe] C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee\SPAMKI~1\MskDetct.exe /startup
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SunJavaUpdateSched] C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_04\bin\jusched.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NeroCheck] C:\WINDOWS\System32\NeroCheck.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [CTFMON.EXE] C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [MSKAGENTEXE] C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee\SPAMKI~1\MSKAgent.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [MSMSGS] "C:\Program Files\Messenger\MSMSGS.EXE" /background
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [H/PC Connection Agent] "C:\Program Files\Microsoft ActiveSync\WCESCOMM.EXE"
O4 - Global Startup: Adobe Reader Speed Launch.lnk = C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\Reader\reader_sl.exe
O4 - Global Startup: Microsoft Office.lnk = C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office\OSA9.EXE
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_04\bin\npjpi150_04.dll
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Sun Java Console - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_04\bin\npjpi150_04.dll
O9 - Extra button: Create Mobile Favorite - {2EAF5BB1-070F-11D3-9307-00C04FAE2D4F} - C:\Program Files\Microsoft ActiveSync\INETREPL.DLL
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {2EAF5BB2-070F-11D3-9307-00C04FAE2D4F} - C:\Program Files\Microsoft ActiveSync\INETREPL.DLL
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Create Mobile Favorite... - {2EAF5BB2-070F-11D3-9307-00C04FAE2D4F} - C:\Program Files\Microsoft ActiveSync\INETREPL.DLL
O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O16 - DPF: {4F1E5B1A-2A80-42CA-8532-2D05CB959537} (MSN Photo Upload Tool) - http://by12fd.bay12....es/MsnPUpld.cab
O16 - DPF: {B38870E4-7ECB-40DA-8C6A-595F0A5519FF} (MsnMessengerSetupDownloadControl Class) - http://messenger.msn...pdownloader.cab
O23 - Service: ewido security suite control - ewido networks - F:\ewido\security suite\ewidoctrl.exe
O23 - Service: McAfee.com McShield (McShield) - Unknown owner - c:\PROGRA~1\mcafee.com\vso\mcshield.exe
O23 - Service: McAfee SecurityCenter Update Manager (mcupdmgr.exe) - McAfee, Inc - C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee.com\Agent\mcupdmgr.exe
O23 - Service: McAfee.com VirusScan Online Realtime Engine (MCVSRte) - McAfee, Inc - c:\PROGRA~1\mcafee.com\vso\mcvsrte.exe
O23 - Service: McAfee Personal Firewall Service (MpfService) - McAfee Corporation - C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee.com\PERSON~1\MPFSERVICE.exe
O23 - Service: McAfee SpamKiller Server (MskService) - McAfee Inc. - C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee\SPAMKI~1\MSKSrvr.exe

SMIT REM:

smitRem log file
version 2.3

by noahdfear

The current date is: 29/08/2005
The current time is: 15:11:58.83

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Pre-run Files Present

~~~ Program Files ~~~

~~~ Shortcuts ~~~

~~~ Favorites ~~~

~~~ system32 folder ~~~

logfiles

~~~ Icons in System32 ~~~

~~~ Windows directory ~~~

sites.ini
popuper.exe

~~~ Drive root ~~~

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Post-run Files Present

EWIDO:

---------------------------------------------------------
ewido security suite - Scan report
---------------------------------------------------------

+ Created on: 16:43:35, 29/08/2005
+ Report-Checksum: 697D22CF

+ Scan result:

No infected objects found.

::Report End

I didn't get a chance to re-run ACTIVE but I have upto date McAfee and it was clean with nothing detected.
Let me know if you want me to stillrun ACTIVE.

Thanks

Excal

Excal

• Retired Staff
  • 12,739 posts
Wow looks great!!

Alot of times malware will leave leftover files and Activescan is great at picking them up, so if you could please.
Hows everything running?

Thanks,

:tazz:

Excal

rabiyazfar

rabiyazfar

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Excal,

Will Do.

Things run pretty well now.

Many many thanks!!

:tazz: :)

Excal

Excal

• Retired Staff
  • 12,739 posts
It takes a little while for the scan, but its very thorough

thanks,

:tazz:

Excal

Excal

Excal

• Retired Staff
  • 12,739 posts
Due to lack of feedback, this topic has been closed.

If you need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member. This applies only to the original topic starter. Everyone else please begin a New Topic.