Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

New memory problems

• Please log in to reply

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
He is running fine on one module. You should only get what the manufacturer specifies, getting faster ram will work MOST of the time. But if you are sitting using a manufactured computer you shouldnt risk it as they make them specifically hard to upgrade.
Run memtest on both sticks individually. Does it run with one stick of memory and both will work if you do that or does one stick just not work at all.

Advertisements

lampdoc

lampdoc

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
I ran memtest with both sticks, it showed the 1G, so both were working, it ran through a whole cycle, and all tested fine, so I'm not sure why the memory is fine when not in windows, but as soon as I open internet explorer, it crashes every time. I'm not sure why that is, I can do other memory usage things like searches, and navigating through windows fine, but I can't surf the web???
By the way, does anyone have a trick, or an alternative way to enter the BIOS setup, my computer says to use ESC, but it won't work, I've tried to hit it numerous times fast, slow, holding it down, etc... I've tried F1, F2, F10, DEL, CTRL+S, CTRL+ALT+S, and CTRL+ALT+INS, nothing works. I wrote to Emachines, and they said I should be able to access it, but I can't... Thanks
Lampdoc

Edited by lampdoc, 17 August 2005 - 04:08 PM.

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Maybe the keyboard, maybe the Esc key is not working so try another one

lampdoc

lampdoc

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
Well it turns out it was the DELETE key, not ESC, and I got into the BIOS (I swear I tried the DEL key before) But now I found out as was mentioned earlier, I can't change the Clock speed, the only speed changes I have access to is AGP Apature size. I read this is more for graphics, but I increased it anyway, and tried the other memory card, and it still crashed. I've resolved to the fact that I bought the wrong memory to have 1G, but since the 512M is woking fine, and seems to even be faster than before, I'm gonna leave it with one card, and just keep the other as a backup just incase the memory goes bad in the future. Thanks for all your help on this.

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Your welcome and sorry I sorta figuard you could not make the changes but thought it was worth a try.

normally with a via chipset you use the delete key to access bios but sometimes with brand computers the chipset manufactuer makes changes specificaly for that brand of computer.

Rick

nost

nost

banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts
what motherboard have you got

lampdoc

lampdoc

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
I don't know what motherboard I have why do you ask??