Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows ME

• Please log in to reply

lea_207

lea_207

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I have Windows ME on my Compaq computer. Out of the blue it starts continuously locking up to the point that you can't CTRL/alt/delete. You have to shut power down. Boots up again and we start to surf and locks up again. I've run virus scan (McAfee) and Adaware, no viruses or spyware. This just started happening one day. I've had McAfee installed for months with no problems. Does this sound like a Windows ME issue or Compaq issue? Any advice?

Thanks

Advertisements

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
It's doubtful that it is a Compaq problem. Although Windows ME was kinda just thrown together at the last minute (because of Y2K), it is unlikely that ME would just spontaniously cause problems. However, it could be a software conflict between ME and something you recently installed. Since I'm not one of the experts at this site, I can't give you a suggestion with the little bit of info you've provided, but I am capable of troubleshooting and diagnosing problems.

Do this to give me more info:

1. start your computer

2. press Ctrl + Alt + Delete when the computer is ready and is at the desktop

3. write down all the processes that are active, as well as approximatly how much of the CPU is using. Post a reply with the name of the processes and their CPU usage.

Here's a personal opinion: I dislike McAfee. The best anti-virus I've ever seen is Kaspersky Anti-Virus. Unfortunatly it slows down older computers since it is so protective. Norton Anti-Virus is second the best, in my opinion.

Hope I can help you, but if an expert replies, he probably can help you faster and better than I can. :tazz:

lea_207

lea_207

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Thank you for your input, I'm confused though, I can handle the ctrl/alt/delete, but I don't know how to see each processess cpu usage??? When I ctrl/alt/delete the box comes up with the running programs, what do I do next. I don't think it is a McAfee issue as I've been using McAfee for months with no problems. Thanks again

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
Sorry, I forgot that ME Task Manager is different than XP. :tazz: You won't be able to see the CPU usage with it. With regards Mcfee, there may not be any conflict, but there could very well be a virus that Mcfee has missed, especially if you're using something faster than dial-up. You can download a free trial version of Kaspersky, update it, and then run it. I don't recommend doing that, though, if you have less than 256 MB of RAM or if you use dial-up.

Also try downloading SpyBot - Search and Destroy. (you can find it at www.snapfiles.com Do a search for it.) It catches many spyware that Adaware misses. Spyware can cause instability in your internet explorer. Try this first, especially if you have something faster than dial-up.

Also, while at www.snapfiles.com, download a program called Hijack This. Run it. Tell it to do a scan and save a log. Post that log in this thred. It will help me, and especially an expert if he reads this, to analyze your problem.

Hope all goes well for you. :)

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi lea_207,,,Welcome to G2G!

What model compaq is this and how old is it. This could very well be a heat related problem. A stick of RAM going bad or an impending hard drive failure can also cause these symptoms. For the time being though let's just gather a little information on your machine.

Download Everest Here. (Download the Self Installing EXE package), install it, run it, and post the results back here. (Copy and Paste)

wannabe1