Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Control Panel Problem

• Please log in to reply

TikiLoki

TikiLoki

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Im having trouble with opening the Control panel. Basicaly when i click control panel, the window opens up, a popup saying, 'Windows has detected an error, program will be termanated,yada yada yada' The window closes then the taskbar and icons dissapear for a moment and reappear (Explorer restarting?). Somtimes instead of explorer restarting, there is another 'windows has detected an error message' this time refering to DRWatson portsmortem debugger.

I have reason to believe that these problems have been cause by my recent installation of Doom 3. I have LOTS of trouble installing it, (The comp continualy froze during the arduous attempts at installing) I finnaly got the intal to work by selecting to remove windows installer, via add remove software wizard. Now I can conferm that the Control panel problem occured before the instalation finnaly finished, but if i restore my computer to a time BEFORE that first attempt to Install, the control panel pops up, with no problems.

Now I would really like to fix the problem WITHOUT un installing Doom3 (At least till I beat the game :tazz:

Thanks for any help!

Advertisements

TikiLoki

TikiLoki

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Anyone??

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Replace the system files, click start, run, type sfc /scannow then press enter, you need the XP CD and get a blue bar, when the bar goes, reboot.

TikiLoki

TikiLoki

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Ya see, the problem is, i dont have the CD, itt didnt come with my dell dimension 3000

TikiLoki

TikiLoki

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
I have finaly mustered up the courage to do a restore, only to find that its NOT Doom3, but acctually before that instalation!

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Have you got restore points before then

TikiLoki

TikiLoki

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Oh, well i have solved the problem, I have founf that it was infact my Newly installed videocard driver Competing with my Integrated extreme intel grafics card!

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Thank You for letting me know