Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Need to Design Online Store

• Please log in to reply

lizzeydripping

lizzeydripping

• PipPip
  • 26 posts
Hi!

I would be very grateful with some help on this.

I have a good basic grasp of web design - I design small sites for friends and family and mainly use Dreamweaver MX 2004 to do so. A friend has recommended to me to a friend who wants an online store designed to sell equestrian products over the net using credit card payment.

I have never designed a secure site before and would be grateful if anyone can suggest some resources that will talk me through the basics on this. Any packages that might be suggested must be very customisable as I am not yet sure what layout my new customer will require!

Equally, as this will be my first "proper" site, what sort of time frame should I be suggesting to complete the project? Is there an industry standard on this kind of thing?

Any and all suggestions welcomed!

Thanks!

Advertisements

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
I wouldn't recomend trying to design an ecommerce site from scratch, but there are some very good open source projects. Check out these:

http://www.oscommerce.com/
This is the grand daddy, very feature rich, and customizable, but requires some coding knowledge. There are some very large sites running this software.

http://www.cubecart.com/site/home/
It's a branch of the OSC project. Easier to setup, and directed towards smaller sites and developers.

Here's some more:
http://www.google.co...:en-US:official

CraftyGirl (one of our staff) has been working on a CubeCart site, she may be able to provide some insight.

lizzeydripping

lizzeydripping

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
You're a star, thanks - I'll let you know how I get on!

~Kat

~Kat

• PipPip
  • 18 posts
Hello,

I know several people who are very happy with this system: http://www.mals-e.com/
I've looked at it myself, and it's fairly easy to customize; I haven't used it myself tho' - yet <_<

lizzeydripping

lizzeydripping

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
Hi Kat!

Thanks for that - I'll check it out and let you know what happens!

Resident_Blonde

Resident_Blonde

Formerly known as "Crafty_Girl"

• PipPipPip
  • 558 posts
Hi Liz,

I am working and being tutored for my website with graphics and etc.

There are still allot of things that need to be changed on there to make me happy, but still in working progress..

But here is someone that I know who can REALLY help you out with this.

His name is Rex and located at www.designscubed.com

He designs websites using the CubeCart software and he can answer any and all questions for you.

If you go to my site www.craftsbystaci.com , this is what the basic CubeCart Software looks like, and if you go to www.designscubed.com you can see what he does with the software.

He is a awesome guy and a helpful one too...

I wish you all the luck... And from what I have learned so far, "depending on the wants of the customer" That it could take up to 3-6 months max to get a site made, setup and ready for the customer.

And also, CubeCart is a VERY easy program to work with...

I wish you all the luck and please look into speaking to Rex, He is as welcoming to people with issues and etc. and willing and wanting to help people out...

Throw him my name... He knows me well <_<

Staci

mikhaelwallace

mikhaelwallace

• PipPip
  • 61 posts
Another option is to use the Payal plugin for dreamweaver. it will allow them to use paypal as an online ecomerce source. while keeping the site design free and usable. Just go to the plugins section for macromedia its one of teh most popular downloads