Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Please Help ITunes Wont open

• Please log in to reply

Gpbrown

Gpbrown

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hello,

I don't usually reply to this sorts of threads due to there been hundreds out there for resolving your PC problems, however I've being experiencing this one for over two weeks - which is not like myself. Understanding that this is a difficult situation to resolve, and that Apple don't acknowledge it as an issue, im going to explain what I did to fix it!

Step 1:

Remove iTunes - through Control Panel!

Step 2:

Remove QuickTime - through Control Panel!

Step 3:

Reboot!

Step 4:

Load up Find all files and folders! Make sure hidden and system files is ticked, as is sub-directory searches. Search for "quicktime; itunes". Delete any results that you can - (I deleted everything).

Step 5:

Reboot!

Step 6:

Grab the latest version of iTunes from apple & install

Step 7:

Jump around in joy in the fact that iTunes is working again :whistling:

Good luck guys - this was a tough one. Had me stumped for a fortnight!

Geordie

Advertisements

bridgetkc5

bridgetkc5

• Pip
  • 1 posts
i have a similar problem.. my iTunes will not open and but no error message appears and i do have norton anti virus ( i deleted it and it was from 2005 so it wasnt workign anyways) and it still wont open.. i click on itune to open it and it looks like its loading but then it just stop and nothing happens

DRZ_KILL

DRZ_KILL

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hello i realise i have posted this comment about a year late but i am experiencing the same exact problems. i dont run nortan i have kaspersky internet security 7.0.0.125 and i would like to know how i could get itunes to open and help would be appreciated
THANKS

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Hi DRZ_KILL, welcome to G2G.

You really need to start a new thread fully describing your problem. Even though it's similar to this one, the thread is too old to get the attention you will need to resolve the problem.

DRZ_KILL

DRZ_KILL

• Pip
  • 2 posts
hi :)
oh ok ill start a new topic sometime this week thanks

vincy

vincy

• Pip
  • 1 posts

:)

I wish I could help you but I need help myself. I fixed the problem with ITunes 4.6 but when they released ITunes 5 it started doing the same thing. I have no idea what to do to solve it but disable Norton. If anyone knows what to do please help us all.

ALL I AM IS A SIMPLE CUBAN :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

try reinstalling java runtime.limewire will not open if java runtime is not working so the i tunes might be in the same boat.

enrr05d

enrr05d

• Pip
  • 1 posts
please help...
i havw windows xp and ive got itunes 7.5 and installed it millions of times. ive tried the exceptions on firewall but the itunes already has exceptions and i have no idea what to do! :) reply quickly pleasee

shadow3595

shadow3595

• Pip
  • 1 posts
ok so i HAD the same problem...
i would open itunes... nothing but the hour glass would pop up.
then if i went to the taskmaster it would say itunes.exe was running... so ive been looking around on a billion and one forums for the past like 5 days trying to find somebody that could help.
finally i found the one person that solved my problem.
here is his exact post on this website...

http://www.msfn.org/...9-to109724.html

---------------------

I spent like 3 hours trying to find a fix for this for my dad and finally found it!

A quick story:
I am on an nLite'd version of XP Pro. My dad has an iPod shuffle which he just loves and wanted me to sync some music for him. So, I got the music he wanted and then remembered I needed to install iTunes. So, I downloaded iTunes and installed it, and then, to my dismay, it would not run. But it was in the Task Manager. So, I began searching google and stumbled upon this thread. I tried most of the fixes... None worked. Then, I saw one that said to download several DLL files. So I go the dll files and copied them to my system32 directory. It still didn't work, so I was about to give up. After a few minutes of blankly staring at my destop waiting for iTunes to possible poke it's head up and I may catch a glimpse of it. It didn't show up and then a thought hammer thrust itself into my skull: Maybe I had to register them, I thought to myself. So I ran regsvr32 on sll of the DLL's I had just downloaded and rebooted and it worked.

In conclusion:
You need the following DLL's:
sccbase.dll
sccsccp.dll
slbcsp.dll
slbiop.dll
wmasf.dll
wmidx.dll
slbrccsp.dll
And you need to register most of them.

But since I am bored on a Friday night and have nothing to except wait in anticipation for my new PC parts to get here some time next week, I decided to make a folder of all those DLL's and a .bat to register them.

I put them in a nice little .zip and it can be downloaded from:
http://www.mediafire.com/?ynl0lctykly

-----------------

if your not good with computers all you have to do is download that file... then once you have it saved somewhere go to where you saved it.
right click the icon and hit "extract files" and hit ok.
you should get a folder now.
once you have the folder open it up and you should have 7 .dll files in there and a .bat file...
copy the 7 .dll files into this location on your computer....
C:\WINDOWS\system32
you can just open mycomputer and type that in and it will bring you there.
if your like me 2 of the .dlls were already in there so just dont replace them.
but once you have those other .dlls in there double click the .bat file you got from downloading that.
once youve done that... just close everything and restart you computer... open itunes and bam! music =] hope this helps! worked for me and probably a lot of others. good luck!

joemama863

joemama863

• Pip
  • 2 posts
alright, so i recently downloaded the newest version of itunes (version 8.1 or something) and now when i click on the shortcut it says

" the itunes library.itl file cannot be found or created. the default location for this file is in the itunes folder in the my music folder."

i have tried uninstalling itunes and reinstalling it and the same thing happens. i have tried going to the itunes folder and opening it from there and still nothing. help please

thrillho

thrillho

• Pip
  • 1 posts

ok so i HAD the same problem...
i would open itunes... nothing but the hour glass would pop up....

Ok, I just literally signed up to be a member of this forum simply to thank you!
This has been a problem I have been dealing with for over a year. Every one keeps talking about Norton, and firewalls but I dont use any norton products.
My girlfriend just gave me an iPod Touch, and i was just about to give in and format.
then i read your post, and I too used nLight to make my windows disc.

I cant thank you enough.

Advertisements

mickro

mickro

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Try this go to C:\Program Files change the name of the Itunes (and Ipod) folder,if you cant go to your task mannager>processes>close Itunes Helper,try again to change the name of the folders,you should be able now,then double click on the itunes icon on your desktop,it should say "The windows is configuring the Itunes"-just wait,itunes should open now.
If not,go check again youre processes and close anything related to itunes
hope that works

jburnzey

jburnzey

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I just want to say, i tried all what you all said and none of it worked. So i just went a to system restore and went back to a point when itunes was working. that worked for me. just to say i did reinstall and do everything you all said except reloading windows.

holocaust

holocaust

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Simple answer: (Ctrl + Alt + Del)/ in Task Manager tab "Processes" (it will be the second tab, and do this only after you verified that iTunes is ended from the first tab "Applications") search for any thing related to iTunes (i.e. in the Description column iTunes should appear, possibly more than once) / Click on the processes that contain iTunes and "End Process" (a button will appear once selected). Then double click iTunes icon.

No re-starting, no re-downloading needed. ;)

Edited by holocaust, 08 March 2012 - 11:35 AM.