Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Cannot access startmenu, mycomputer, mydocument ..

• Please log in to reply

hajiwon

hajiwon

• PipPip
  • 97 posts
My computer (XP Home Edition) has been working fine until just recently. When i turned my computer on, it looks normal, but i cannot click on any programs that are on my desktop. The mouse moves fine though on the computer screen.

The start menu, my documents, my computer, basically any programs will not open. If I click on it then the mouse arrow would become a time capsule (seems like it's loading, but it doesn't work).

The computer seems like it froze, but the mouse is able to move. The weird part is that no programs can be open, but the task manager works fine. I tried to open a file in the task manager but it would freeze, so i reopen the task manager again so i can end that task, but then a screen would pop up saying something like an error has occur and shows two options (click here to report the error, or click to check the problems on the web) i chose both, so that's how i was able to get on the internet. On the internet, i can search and read forums like usual, but i cannot download anything. Once i download, the internet would freeze and i would have to use task manger to end the task again.

The next day, the computer worked fine. The problem did not happen again, but when i turned it off and went back on later, the problem started again ... can someone help me in resolving the problem. Thank you very much :tazz:

Advertisements

Kat

Kat

Retired

• Retired Staff
  • 19,711 posts
  • MVP
Please go to the malware forum and follow the instructions at the top....Especially the CLICK HERE .

That will give you several steps that will help you clean up 70 percent of all problems by yourself. If at the end of the process you are still having difficulty--and you may not be-- then post a hijackthis log in THAT forum.

If you are still having problems after getting a clean bill of health from the malware expert, please return to this thread.

hajiwon

hajiwon

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 97 posts
alight ~kat~ ... thanks for pointing me out, i'll come back if it doesn't work :tazz:
-------------------------------------------------------------
edit:

it still doesn't work b/c even though i can log on the internet (mozilla only) i cannot download anything, if i download then the internet freezes again ... i have ad-aware on my computer, but i cannot access it ... but i can access regedit, that's abouyt it, but i can't post a log

Edited by hajiwon, 19 August 2005 - 02:37 PM.

hajiwon

hajiwon

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 97 posts
do anyone have an answer to my problem?? ... :)

--------

edit: problem solved :tazz:

Edited by hajiwon, 23 September 2005 - 05:31 PM.