Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

very slowwwwwwwww

• Please log in to reply

tessy_joe

tessy_joe

• Pip
  • 3 posts
my start up and shut down is verrrrrrrrryyyyyyy slow as well as downloads and just everything in general. it just started acting crazy. can anyone help me?

Advertisements

Michael

Michael

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 1,869 posts
What is you hard ware like, how much ram, processer speed, hard drive space etc. Once I know that I will start segesting some thing for makeing you computer run faster.

Also what Anti virus programs, Anti spware programs and firewall do you use? please run any scans with these and make sure you do not have Malware becase I am not qualifyed to help you with malware (only staf members can do this) and you will have to go to the malware forum.

Edited by Michael Buckley, 17 August 2005 - 05:59 PM.

tessy_joe

tessy_joe

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
i have 1.6ghz, 512 mb, 80 gb, 32 mb. hope thats what you wanted. with a pentium 4.
i use norton antivirus. adaware, and spy sweeper by webroot and the windows firewall.and i have ran ewido security and windows cleanup. i run my spyware programs on a daily basis

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
To check for a couple of things, click start, all programmes, accessories, system tools to run disc clean up, then from system tools, run disc defragmenter.

Click start then run, type sfc /scannow then press enter, you need the XP CD and get a blue bar, after the bar goes, reboot.

Click start then run, type chkdsk /f /r then press enter, type Y to confirm for next boot, press enter then reboot.

This will take an hour, it will appear to load normally then either the monitor will show progress or the screen will go blank, do not disturb this, when it get to the desktop, the system files and the hard drive will be as they should

Michael

Michael

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 1,869 posts
Ok than it is not likely to be malware. Ever tweaked your computer?
here are a one to try. will add more as I think of them.

the first is to trun of indexing service.

1. Open up "My Computer"
2. Right-click on your hard drive (usually "C:") and choose "Properties"
3. Uncheck the box at the bottom that reads "Allow Indexing Service to..."
4. Click OK then the files will be removed from memory. This removal may take a few minutes to complete, but it's worth it.

You will also need to disable the indexing service here too:

1. Go to "Start", then "Run"
2. Type "services.msc" and press enter
3. Scroll-down to "Indexing Service" and double-click it
4. If the service status is "Running", then stop it by pressing the "Stop" button
5. To make sure this service doesn't run again, under "Startup Type:", choose "Disabled"

tessy_joe

tessy_joe

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
it came back with error and asked weather i should ignore or cancel when i done this step

1. Open up "My Computer"
2. Right-click on your hard drive (usually "C:") and choose "Properties"
3. Uncheck the box at the bottom that reads "Allow Indexing Service to..."
4. Click OK then the files will be removed from memory. This removal may take a few minutes to complete, but it's worth it.

Michael

Michael

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 1,869 posts
I should have warned you that it will do that, (I just copied and pasted it in and for got to edit it) just press ignore, the reason for the error is that it can not change files that are being used by the computer. That is why you must do the second step.

Another tweak that you could try if you feel up to it is.

1. Press start < program < startup and remove any thing that is there they are not needed the program run just as well with out them.
2. Press star < run and type msconfig
3. On the screen that comes up press startup
4. There will now be a list that will contain some unusual names, that is normal. The idea is to untick every thing that you don't need to run when you computer starts up ( I have unticked 14 out of the possible 19). The only program that need to run are those belonging to you anti virus and anti spyware programs and possibly your instant massaging program.
5. Now look under the column that is called command this is were the file that stars up with your computer is. If it has any reference to your needed programs leave it. If unsure ask in this post.

These are the two tweaks that will have the bigest affect on you computer is this dose not help there is no point in doing any thing else