Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

bandwidth problems with wireless sharing

• Please log in to reply

shortyz50

shortyz50

• Pip
  • 4 posts
I have a lynksys wirelee g and a wireless card in my desktop, my roomate has the other pc hooked into the wireless g also but not wireless. When ever he is downloading on it my connection gets very bad, gaming is almost impossible. I called my internet co and they said they couldnt add another line they told me to just get a router and it would be fine but it isnt. Is the problem because of wireless? would it be better if i was directly plugged into the router? I configured the router with port forwarding for the game i play but its still har to get on when hes downloading. Is there a fix for this or do i have to trash his computer mysteriously for a better connection. PLEASE HELP ME!!!!!!! :tazz:

Advertisements

shortyz50

shortyz50

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
plz anyone?

todd333

todd333

• PipPipPip
  • 130 posts
do you have WEP enabled? you might be sharing your connection with people other than your roomate, if you live in an apartment, anyone in your building

SpaceCowboy706

SpaceCowboy706

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,175 posts
If you want to get tricky with your roommate we can set priorities on the ports and wireless access, that will cause him to slow down and you to speed up.. but thats for you decide... let me know what you want to do.