Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

"Permission is Denied" When using XP Recovery Cons

• Please log in to reply

Luc L.

Luc L.

• Pip
  • 2 posts
After installing some updates my PC no longer boots into windows XP (SP2). Immediately after the WinXP logo it gives me an error outlined in the thread below.

http://www.geekstogo...ows-t19049.html

I am told to remove the Updates in question, which exist, but for some strange reason every time I attempt to remove ANY update, I get a "permission is denied" error. This is the case with all updates I've tried to remove, not just the ones specified.

So... My system is password protected at windows logon, has a single user. The password for my Windows user does not work in the Recovery Console, the password I enter is blank and it seems to let me in. I can access any file on the drive, but when I attempt to run batch spuninst.txt in the given update directory, I get either one, or multiple Permission is Denied errors.

Any idea what is causing this?

Thanks!
Luc L.

Advertisements

Luc L.

Luc L.

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Figured out the problem, and posting for future users.

For some reason Windows Recovery Console loaded my primary hard drive (usually C:\) as drive D:\, and upon taking a closer look at the batch file, they were all trying to copy from c:\ to c:\ but that drive was my other hard drive and WRC does not allow access to other drives which is why I was getting those nasty Permission is Denied errors.

This can be fixed by simply unplugging any other hard drive that is not the primary hard drive during WRC load.

Of course, I had to re-install Windows on another drive to see this. But now others may know for the future.

Luc L.

Edited by Luc L., 17 August 2005 - 08:03 PM.

powelli

powelli

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Brilliant!!! If this works I could actually kiss you! My new build has been out of action for over a week as i've tried to figure this out, after only a few hours running and downloading updates. Why do Microsoft release updates that balls up ppls computers??!!! Anyway, cheers mate, I'll post back to say if it worked but I'm pretty confident it will. Always something so simple [bleep].

Powelli