Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Installing WINXP OS

• Please log in to reply

EEPLAY

EEPLAY

• Pip
  • 4 posts
While installing WINXP on an empty hard disk I got the following error and am unable to resolve this situation..

Cannot find files
cyclad-z.inf
cyclom-y.ini

Thus the installation is being erroneous. However if I view the cd in WINXP the file is seen as is however if I view the CD in dos the files are seen as

cyclad_z.inf
cyclom_y.ini

I read something about the setting used to burn the CD however I used multiple CD's and also multiple programs, NERO and WINXP DEFAULT Burn and got the same result.

can anyone explain this to me :tazz: and what should I do to continue this installation...??

Advertisements

Pri3st

Pri3st

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
I'm not sure but I think your problem lies in the fact that you are using the ISO 9660 character set when burning your cd or creating the iso image to burn from.

The ISO 9660 standard only supports letters A-Z, digits 0-9, and the underscore ( _ ).

Because "cyclad-z.inf" and "cyclom-y.ini" both have dashes in their names the ISO 9660 standard interprets the dashes as underscores and converts "cyclad-z.inf" and "cyclom-y.ini" to cyclad_z.inf and cyclom_y.ini

When you install from the cd, windows is looking for cyclad-z and cyclom-y which technically are not on the cd you burned.

My suggestion would be to reburn the disc. If you are using nero to burn then look in the "ISO" tab when burning a new disc and change the filesystem to "ISO 9660+Joliet" and the characterset to "DOS" or "ACSII"

If this doesn't help then you made need to try to create a new iso image using the appropriate settings.

Hope this helps! :tazz:

Edited by Pri3st, 18 August 2005 - 12:09 AM.

EEPLAY

EEPLAY

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
The only joliet option I have is one that states "check for joliet file names before burning" and also one that says "choose all supported file formats" both of which were checked....

EEPLAY

EEPLAY

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
I also tried HP SONIC RECORDNOW that was defaulted to ISO 9660 + Joliet and was still unable to read the files specified before go figure... Also these were done on multiple CDS

EEPLAY

EEPLAY

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
OK This is what I did to resolvve the issue. Initially the abscence of these files were from copying the installation files from the WINXP CD to the hardrive for installation. I ignored these warning and continued copying the files noting each file that was missing. NOW upon installation of WINXP these files were not located on the hard drive C:\WINNT\i386. Thus windows installation complained. However windows also gave the option to browse for such a file. Thus I copied these 10 files from the original extracted folder and placed them on a diskette disk and then manually copied these files to the C:\WINNT\i386 folder within the browse option as it would not allow the installation to continue through the a:\. That is all missing files had to be placed on the hard disk in the C:\WINNT\i386 for the actual installation to be completed. Thus this was done within the browse option during windows installation by using the ctrl+c and ctrl+v short keys. This worked beutifully and now I am happy :tazz: with a running version of WINXP SP2.

The ISO 9660 and Joliet format are definitely the cause of the problem, however I was never able to get DOS to recognize the difference between the two and hence it made no difference as to what settings or programs or CD's I used to copy create the burnt cd from the self extractable file.

Pri3st

Pri3st

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
Wow smart solution wish I had thought of it :tazz: good job

Edited by Pri3st, 19 August 2005 - 10:31 AM.