Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

corrupted disk

• Please log in to reply

big G

big G

• Pip
  • 9 posts
Help im doing an upgrade from Win 98se to win xp but when it gets to preparing installation it comes up with the error " Setup has determiend that the disk C: is corrupted and cannot be repaired" Why when it just had 98se loaded on to it and had 98 normall b4 that. Any clues for help woukld be much appreciated.

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
To eliminate a couple of things, boot the PC and keep tapping F8 right after the beep until you get options, select command prompt only, type scanreg.exe /fix then press enter, it will run through a few screens then say registry repaired. Press enter then press ctrl + alt + delete keys together to reboot.

When it has loaded, click start, all programmes, accessories, system tools, system information, tools then run system file checker and replace any files it asks for from the 98SE CD.

Running these checks will rebuild the registry and replace missing system files

big G

big G

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
nope unfortunatly that didnt work, any more clues?

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
It would have said if there was a problem with rebuilding the registry or replacing the system files

Click start then programmes, accessories, system tools, scandisk, put the dot in thorough and automatically fix errors, click start

big G

big G

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
rite for the first help you gave i think that it repaird a setup.dll and for the scan disk win98se found nothing wrong with the hdd. Still I have that error msg when trying the Xp install.

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
Just two questions, what is the size of the disk, and are you changing to NTFS from fat32? Meaning are you out to do a clean install or a halfway house?

big G

big G

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
disk is 9.52gb and i tried to do a clean install with the cd rom and the diskettes but it gave an error cannot find infobios.inf ( i think that was the file name) so now loaded up Win98se and trying to do the upgrade way.,Its currently Fat32.

big G

big G

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
rite I appear to have sum how got past the above issue and now another.., it boots up to XP now and gets to the "Set Up is being restarted" thinks for a few seconds cdrom spins and then a msg that displays for bout a second and system reboots . lsass.exe- not enough quota. Not enough virtual memory or pageing file quota to complete the specified operation." help what this one mean?. :tazz: