Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

BT Broadband - advice needed

• Please log in to reply

gingabiskit

gingabiskit

• Pip
  • 9 posts
Hi,
I've been using the supplied voyager 205 modem/router to connect to BT Broadband, and after many problems have decided to buy another modem. Could anyone who has actually done this themselves let me know what modem(s) you've tried, and any problems you've had. I tried an old speedtouch model a while ago, and had a problem that it required a password to complete the setup, but BT Broadband does not use a password.

Any help or info would be much appreciated, but I really only want advice from someone who has actually gone through this process themselves, so that I can be sure the modem will work.

Thanks

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Check with BT that your new modem will be supported, if not, you've handed the game to them if you get problems with the connection

Ask BT to replace the modem

Check the speedtouch was not asking for your username and password before connecting the first time

gingabiskit

gingabiskit

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
BT have told me that: "we are unable to comment on the compatability of modem/routers other than the supplied voyager 205 or its wireless counterpart"

BT have already replaced my 205 twice, and all suffer the same problems. Seems to be a design flaw, many other people are having similar problems. As for the speedtouch, it was requesting my isp username and password. Bt broadband has a username but does not use a password, and the speedtouch would not accept that there is no password.

Thanks

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Mine had an @hg55 username and a password

Could be worth asking BT to check the line, they also have automatic testing

Consider another ISP

gingabiskit

gingabiskit

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
I'd love to change to another ISP, unfortunatly I'm tied to this one until next May. BT have tested the line a couple of times, I've gone through 8 fone calls with BT tech support, but they don't know whats wrong.

I know a few other people on this forum have had similar problems, and so far the only thing that seems to sort it completely is changing the modem.

I don't know if this password thing is something BT have done recently, but a friend of mine and my uncle both signed up to BT around the same time as me, and we all have the same problems, and are in the same situation with the passwords.

Thanks for your help

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
BT gave me a username and account password but I moved ISP and had slow speeds, I took the faceplate off the BT socket then plugged the modem line direct to the router and it improved things