Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

RAM update, what one!?

• Please log in to reply

Stu_

Stu_

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hello, i was on another forum trying to get help on updaing my ram, but i haven't had that much help, i need 2x 256mb ram sticks, but i don't know what the ones in my pc say 256mb pc3200 but people have said to me taht i need non-ecc, because thats what is says on there website :tazz: so i'm abit confused, my pc specs are below, cheers hope you can help.
and i do have everest home edition, no help.
cheers.

Advertisements

shard92

shard92

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts
The easiest thing to do would be to go to Crucial.com and put in either your motherboard or if your computer is a name brand the model of your computer and it will tell you what you should use. ANd if you buy from them after using that they guarantee it will work.

RogueComGeek

RogueComGeek

• PipPipPip
  • 141 posts

(Error Correction Code) - A method of checking the integrity of data in DRAM. ECC provides more elaborate error detection than parity; ECC can detect multiple-bit errors and can locate and correct single-bit errors.

most consumer motherboards support only non-ecc. because the chances of a error hapening are slim. having ecc slows down the timings(but increases reliablity) so its ment only for servers.

Edited by RogueComGeek, 18 August 2005 - 10:43 AM.