Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Random Shutdown!

• Please log in to reply

elk68

elk68

• Pip
  • 7 posts
I built my PC and everything was fine for 4-5 months. Recently it's started shutting down randomly.
I've got virus checker (ViRobot) and Firewall all update and dont think there's a virus (done a scan and no result).

I have a Intel P4 3.06 on an ASUS P4S-800MX Socket 478 800FSB M/B with 512 MB PC3200 400 DDR DIMM. Running XP Ver 2002 SP2.

I've checked the temperature and it's only around 30-35 deg C (have 3 fans and an open case).

It's not a game-ing machine.

No error msgs seen.

Had a look in the System Error Logs but don't see anything untowards.

What else can I do? Any bright ideas? All help appreciated.

Thanks

sk

Advertisements

shard92

shard92

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts
First thing that comes to mind ( after heat and it doesn't appear to be that ) is the power supply.

elk68

elk68

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

First thing that comes to mind ( after heat and it doesn't appear to be that )  is the power supply.

View Post

I like the way you think. Possibility. I'll investigate. Thanks. sk

elk68

elk68

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
just wanted to add that i've replaced my power source and all seems o be fine. fingers crossed.

Zarkahn

Zarkahn

• PipPip
  • 24 posts
You say it has been fine for 4-5 months. If you have added any hardware since then, I would suspect the power supply. Even if not thought it could be malfunctioning.

elk68

elk68

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Bad newz. Computer did random shutdown again!!. Twice. It's been fine for about 2 days since the new PSU.

PS - I've got ViRobot firewall installed. Anyone encountered any problems with things like this.

Also I notice a Device Error message (but didn't manage to note it). Is this a possiblity for shutdowns (even tho i've not added any new devices for the past 4-5 months). Only new installs have been software hence the Q about ViRobot and firewall.

thanks

sk

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
Turn off auto restart
Control Panel/System/Advanced/Startup and recovery
uncheck auto restart.

Doing the above the computer will no longer shut down when the blip happens instead it will tell you that due of "XXX" reason the computer must close down, it isn't a solution but as least it names the beast.

I myself am more like to feel that it is software seeing that you haven't added hardware, meaning perhaps a new game or program that does not agree with you system, I myself had a problem like this when an HP printer program.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
The problem could be caused by faulty ram. if you have another module try to replace temporarily the present modules and let the computer run.

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Apologies for butting in on this topic, but just want to clarify something quickly...
elk68, you said that the temp was 30-35 degrees. Is that the system temp or the cpu temp? If its the system temp, then can you tell us what the actual cpu temperature is please?

elk68

elk68

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
tks fleamailman, i'll try the error logging and see what happens. btw, i too have HP printer s/w. we'll c what the error logging produces.

y.a - yea i guess it could b the ram. i wonder if this would produce an error that would be logged as 'device driver failure'?. don't hv any spare memory at present and may follow down this road later on.

samm - do butt in -). it's the system temp i was referring to. in any case i don’t think the cpu is over heating.

In the beginning when the system would shut down, during restart it would restart to system setup where it'd say the CPU speed wasn't set correctly. However the CPU speed was set at 3000cycles and the cpu is a P4 3.06. Additionally the speed setting was set at 'Automatic'.

I guess a serious question would be ; can a badly written piece of code cause an OS to shut down completely? If not then it'd point to malfunctioning hardware.
the plot thickens..

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
This problem can be caused by many hardware reasons. Here is a list of some:

1: Overheating CPU (mentioned by Samm). If the temperature is too high the computer will keep working until some heavy load is appliede, it is overheating and shut down by the bios.
2: Faulty or loose ram. I have seen that many times. If you don't have a replacement try at least to make sure the module sits firmly in the slot.
3: Video card that sit loosely in the slot. Try to move the card gently and see if you can create a shutdown. Also, if the cooling of the card is not good you can have lots of problems.
4: Power supply unit. This could lead to lots of problems of all kind.
5: Faulty cpu. Sometimes the computer is dead. In other times it can shut down randomly.
6: faulty motherboard. The same appearance as of a faulty cpu.
7: Most important: a loose connection somewhere in the system. Check all the connections in the system (flat cables, jumpers, molex connectors etc.)

The easyiest method in analyzing hardware problem is to replace the suspected part temporarily. I know that most often this is impossible due to lack of replacement parts. This is one of the big advantages of the lab, availability of parts.

If you can't find the problem easily I would suggest a clean installation of XP just to eliminate the possibility of a software problem.

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
v.a is right about the possible hardware related faults. I have had a couple of other thoughts as well which may be worth investigating :

Try disabling hyperthreading in the bios
If your bios has these settings, check that you have the vcore & ram voltages set correctly (or set to auto)
Update your antivirus software & perform a thorough scan of everything

I know you said the reboots are random but can you think of any pattern to them at all? EG. do they only occur when you are online? / after a period of inactivity? / after or during using a particular bit of hardware? etc

Also, I know you said you've already replaced the power supply, but can you tell us what the PSU specs are please? ie power rating in watts & make/model

Xorgroth

Xorgroth

• PipPip
  • 26 posts
Opened case? Fan going and you have the side off? Gets hotter in there with any side off the case at all. Think it would be cooler but actually not designed to work that way.
Anyway, thought I'd reply since I was have RAM problems and almost like yours. Didn't matter 20min to 1 hr, would just shut off and had to let is rest before booting it back up. Waiting for replacment RAM now, way slower than what went defunk. Give this a shot, get into BIOS and change the CPU speed down one or two notches.
My CPU can run 2100MHz but since of the RAM error down to 1440MHz, double check that RAM in every single way possible, wear that strap too. :tazz: If that isn't it and still can't get her going, test the power supply under load, handy dany multimeter and paper clip the green wire to black, then check your voltages, lots of sites on that.
Sum up everything I just said, put the side panel on if it is off, will get into CPU errors from heat. Check your memory, every which way and then your power supply. Just changed it, so more than likely not it but have a feeling it is the RAM, wouldn't be anything else that I can think of or just come down to a few of those problems.

Xorgroth

elk68

elk68

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Thanks to fleamailman, i've managed to get the bsod rather than total shutdown.
Interestingly enough, i've recently had two seperate error messages;

PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA and
IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

Me thinks reading through these errors that a device driver has gone mental on me.

Any ideas on what to look out in my next upcoming bsod so that i can identify the driver causing the memory faults?

tks

sk