Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Ethernet Card Dead After Storm, but Modem Not?

• Please log in to reply

d_lib_comp

d_lib_comp

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Any guidance, would be super...

in a nutshell, there was a storm on sunday, bad lightning at my apartment. I had computer off, but power strip with everything plugged in it was on. (I know, forgot to shut it off.) Anway, now I can't get online with my verizon dsl line. Monday night a verizon guy walked me through resetting the modem and we moved the ethernet cable from the "ethernet" port to one labeled "e4." All the proper lights are on the modem, 4 lights are green. I have Windows ME, and when I right click on "My Network Places" and go to properties, there is a tab where you can see adapters. There I do see an adapter that says "ethernet" etc. in it. If I go to "My Computer" and right click to properties and the tab where you can see adapters, I do not see an adapter that says ethernet in it. Is the computer not receiving the signal from my ethernet cable? It seems like the modem is working (the port for "e4" where the ethernet cable is now lights up etc.) but the computer can't read it. What do you think? Is my ethernet card fried or dead? (My phone line is totally fine, I get a signal and all that.) I just don't want to waste money at best buy, circuit city, etc. if I don't have to. (I also worked with a better verizon help person Tuesday night, and we could not resolve the problem.)

Thanks so much for any hints!
dlib

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
right click my computer > manage > device manager. then look for any yellow ?