Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Dual Boot Problem

• Please log in to reply

dandima_nc

dandima_nc

• PipPip
  • 26 posts
Hi there helping people!

I'm running Windows XP SP 2 Professional on my computer and using two hard drives: an old one with a capacity of 18.6 GB and a newer one, an 80 GB Maxtor.
I wanted to erase every bit of information on my old HDD to use it as 'deposit box' from now on. Since I had Windows XP OS running on it before buying my new hardware, I decided the correct choice would be booting from my XP SP 2 Boot CD and deleting the partition D (that would be my old HDD).
After deleting I made a BIG mistake (and I feel ashamed because I'm pretending I know stuff related to Windows OS and helped some of my friends overcome some serious troubles). Wanting to format the old HDD to NTFS, instead of booting up and formatting it from My Computer and so on... I chose Install Windows XP on the old HDD knowing it would automatically ask for formatting it before install. I assumed I could cancel installation at any time after Windows Setup would have formatted it, although I couldn't remember for sure there would be an option to stop installation... Obviously, Windows Setup continued its job, even rebooted and started installing XP for real... And I don't know why, now I can't find any excuse, but I made the biggest mistake: pressed RESET button...
From that time I get a dual boot screen with two identical options: Microsoft Windows XP Pro. One of them would boot normally, one of them tells me something about "hal.dll missing or corrupt" and machine hangs...
Here is what I've done so far: format the old HDD again with XP SP 2 Boot CD, then format it NTFS under Windows Explorer (like I should have done the first time). So now partition D is empty and, it seems, working fine. Then I did a Repair on my good and functioning XP SP 2 OS (the only installation my Boot CD Setup shows as existing).
The dual boot screen is still there... and I'm desperate to get rid of it... I've learned my lesson, now please help me overcome this!

Advertisements

yardguard

yardguard

• PipPipPip
  • 135 posts
[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Windows XP Pro SATA C" /fastdetect /NoExecute=OptIn

Above is what my boot.ini looks like (the file you're interested in).
You need to edit yours to remove the offending boot reference.

To Edit:
Right click my computer/properties/advanced/ Under startup and recovery click the button settings.

In next window under Default operating system click the edit button.

Now you're looking at your Boot.ini file...There should be 2 references under operating systems....They both should be pretty much identical except for disk..one should say disk(0)...the other disk(1).

The first OS is the top choice on the dual boot...The second OS is the bottom choice on the dual boot....

First of all note the default OS(above [operating systems])...Thats the one that windows defaults to if no choice is made...Make sure it matches the one that is the correct one...If it doesn't, change it to match the correct one.

next clear the OS reference to the offending one and save the file..

That should do it...Please don't clear the wrong reference..I would feel like a jerk if you did....If any doubt about what you are doing then just repost your doubts.

HTH

dandima_nc

dandima_nc

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
Brilliant!!
Thank you so much! I did exactly as told and the boot sequence is working fine now.
Of course, I still have to deal with some registry tweaks I made before this huge mistake, tweaks gone after 'repairing' XP. But the most important and annoying problem is gone, thanks to you.
Best regards,
Dan

yardguard

yardguard

• PipPipPip
  • 135 posts
np...Glad I could help