Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows SP2 uninstall

• Please log in to reply

chuck

chuck

• PipPip
  • 20 posts
After uninstalling JamCam digital camera software (coincidence?), a message appeared on my screen, reading: "Windows File Protection Files that are required for Windows to run properly have been replaced by unrecognized versions. To maintain system stability, Windows must restore the original versions of these files. Insert your Windows XP Home Edition Service Pack 2 CD now." When I clicked for more information, one "possible reason for for this problem is; the CD-Rom drive in your system is not functioning". How can I determine if it is or is not functioning?

I attempted to uninstall SP2, with the intention of reinstalling it. When trying to uninstall it in Add/Remove Programs, this message appeared: "The system cannot find the file specified". Then, "The Service Pack 2 was not uninstalled". Someone advised me to ensure that "Show Updates" button is checked". Tried this-still no luck.

Any helpful suggestions would be appreciated.

Advertisements

Smokey

Smokey

Member 1K

• Retired Staff
  • 1,423 posts
Put your Windows XP CD in you PC and:

1. Close all open windows
2. Go to "Start", then "Run"
3. Type "sfc.exe /scannow" and press enter
4. After it's done, restart and see if the problem persists

What this does is scans and verifies the versions of all protected system files and fixes what needs to be fixed.

chuck

chuck

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
I inserted the reinstallation CD, ran sfc.exe/scannow and got this on-screen message: Windows cannot find sfc.exe/scannow. Any other suggestions?

Guest_thatman_*

Guest_thatman_*
Hi chuck

PLEASE try to install XP_SP2 update again it MY cure the problem

kc thumbsup.gif

chuck

chuck

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
Re Windows SP2 Uninstall, thanks Smokey and Thatman for your suggestions. I since, have been in touch with the Windows Support people. We are making some progress. I expect soon to have the problem solved and behind me. Thanks again.

VVK

VVK

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hey Chuck, you are missing a space between sfc.exe and /scannow, /scannow is an argument to sfc. The command should look like this "sfc.exe /scannow" and not "sfc.exe/scannow". Hope this helps.

chuck

chuck

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
Thanks VVK. I hadn't noticed the space in Smokey's message. I must be more observant. I typed it as you (and Smokey) suggested. The process seemed to progress normally, then I stopped it, for fear it might revert my system to the original installation point, causing me to lose all programs I've installed since. Don't laugh; I'm a novice. In any case, I have been in communication with Microsoft Help and Support. They have given me instructions, using the repair option in an installation CD, rather than the reinstallation CD that I have. They are sending me the CD. I will use it to perform the repair.

You and Smokey have taught me something that could be useful to me to correct a future problem. I appreciate it.

If I had let sfc.exe /scannow, complete its task, would it have removed programs that I installed after the original system installation, considering the fact that the reinstallation CD had none of those programs on it? Let me repeat; I AM A NOVICE.