Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Laptop to Desktop

• Please log in to reply

whoisBS

whoisBS

• Pip
  • 9 posts
Ok, got a problem. I'm trying to connect a laptop to my desktop so that the laptop can also get internet connection like my desktop does. Both are Window XP. I have two network adaptors and ethernet cables all hooked up. The adaptor I use to connect to desktop is a USB10T Linksys network adaptor and after I plugged it in my desktop, the wizard say it can't find apropriate software for the new hardware. and the problem is I don't have the setup CD anymore. Then when I run the network connection wizard that come with window XP, it won't let me. Is there anything I can do? and what should I do to make it work?

Advertisements

gilazilla

gilazilla

• PipPip
  • 39 posts
I think you can google for your driver for your network adapter and install it.Most drivers now can be downloaded easily.

SlitNek

SlitNek

• PipPip
  • 38 posts
let me get this right, you have a USB10T linksys network adapter and ethernet cables but u cant link ur computers together correct?

do you have a router or are you trying to just connect through your desktop with no router?

if that is the case then you are better off using a crossover cable from your desktop to your laptop and with windows xp i am almost 100% positive there is a setting in your internet connections that you can set to alow all computers connected to the desktop to use the internet supplied by the desktop.

i feel the best bet is to spend a little money on a regular linksys router *i believe staples is giving back $45 rebates when u pay $50* then using your current ethernet cables just connect and you have urself a network and with the instructions and the cd that linksys gives you there should be absolutly no way to not set this up correctly you just have to have constant internet connection on the desktop