Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Help me please!

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

mpy

mpy

• PipPipPip
  • 120 posts
I have a big problem with my computer now... Let me start off by saying that I have windows xp home edition ..

Ok so.. I scanned my computer and found a virus but the scanner wouldn't heal it.. So I deleted it.. Then explorer.exe stuffed up.. Then I booted my comp with my windows xp cd and tried to repair the whole windows.. But then after repairing it every time I tried to go into windows a message came up saying something like "we've shut down your computer to prevent damage to your system. Please check for viruses and run chkdsk F:"... So I booted my computer again with the cd and installed another windows xp OS... "C:\WINDOWS2".. And that's how I am on now.. Oh and I can still access my original files on my drive but I can't open most of them.. like word documents and real one player movies.. But I know I have microsoft word and real one.. Also the sound doesn't work and the monitor is kinda weird..

Thanks for taking the time to read my problem. Please reply if you can help me.

Advertisements

Kat

Kat

Retired

• Retired Staff
  • 19,711 posts
  • MVP
Please go to the malware forum and follow the instructions at the top....Especially the CLICK HERE .

That will give you several steps that will help you clean up 70 percent of all problems by yourself. If at the end of the process you are still having difficulty--and you may not be-- then post a hijackthis log in THAT forum.

If you are still having problems after getting a clean bill of health from the malware expert, please return to this thread.

mpy

mpy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 120 posts
Sure thing :tazz: Oh and the message that I keep getting when I try to get into windows is...

"A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.

If this is the first time you've seen this stop error screen, restart your computer. If this screen appears again, follow these steps:

Check for viruses on your computer. Remove any newly installed hard drives or hard drive controllers. Check your hard drive to make sure it is properly configured and terminated. Run CHKDSK /F to check for hard drive corruption, and then restart your computer.

Technical information:

***STOP: 0x0000007B (0xFA2C3640, 0xC0000034, 0x00000000, 0x00000000)

Edited by mpy, 19 August 2005 - 03:53 AM.

mpy

mpy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 120 posts
Would it be OK if I re-formatted my computer and then re-installed windows? :tazz:

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Wait for the malware team to get back to you

In future you should do this to repair XP rather than install another copy

http://www.theelderg..._windows_xp.htm

Windows Installation CD to repair the current installation, last in list, leaves data and programmes alone

mpy

mpy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 120 posts
I did try to recover windows xp but that message came up "a problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer"..
I can't use the recovery console to find problems.

I still have all my data.. I just installed windows xp on the same partition but now I have 2 windows xp home editions.. One is in "C:\WINDOWS" and the new one is in "C:\WINDOWS2".. Some of the drivers aren't working now such as the sound and video..

RockyIV

RockyIV

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 710 posts
Did you get a reply from the Malware Experts? You do know there is alimit on how many times you can use the XP CD? I think it is '4' After you re-install it '4' times you cant use it anymore, so I keep that CD as a last resort!

mpy

mpy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 120 posts
They keep deleting my post in the malware forum.. I don't think I have a virus anyway.. I scanned my whole pc and found nothing..

I didn't know you could only use the windows xp install cd 4 times, I think I've used it more than 4 though :\

Should I just format my computer and re-install windows xp?? (I'm a bit scared because last time almost the same thing happened and I reformatted then re-installed windows xp and it didn't work...)

Excal

Excal

Malware Slayer Extraordinaire!

• Retired Staff
  • 12,739 posts
Actually I responded to your thread right here http://www.geekstogo...topic=56707&hl=

and gave u instructions to do. Please follow them and post only in that thread, do not start another one.

Thanks,

:tazz:

Excal

Kat

Kat

Retired

• Retired Staff
  • 19,711 posts
  • MVP
mpy, none of your posts have been deleted. They just aren't on page one. Click the link Excal gave you above, and you will see that he has told you what you need to do.

Your HijackThis log DOES show you have viruses/Malware. So I suggest you follow his advice.