Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

hardware failure

• Please log in to reply

radlv

radlv

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hey, for no apparant reason, I could no longer reboot the computer from the HD (computer starts but cannot go into window ME). I am able to boot the computer with a floppy boot disk and can get into the HD (C drive) in DOS. How can I save the data in the HD? If I get a external HD now and connect it, can I copy the data from my HD to the external drive without activating Window ME? I have tried several HD repair softwares, but none of them worked (all freeze up after a while).

Advertisements

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
This is a difficult situation because it is hard to find hard drives that older machines can use without installing special software, the installation being done in Windows. If you're going to fix the computer you can get a hard drive of 32gb or less that most any computer of that vintage will be able to see. If you choose to do that post at this thread and we can help you.

If you're going to get another computer and just want the files then just hook your old drive, jumpered as slave, to the IDE cable in the new computer and transfer the files over to the new disk.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi radlv...Welcome to G2G!

Have you tried a System Restore from Command Prompt? That may get you up and running well enough to recover your data.

If you still require assistance, post back to this thread.

wannabe1