Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

First build, monitor failure

• Please log in to reply

adamtayco

adamtayco

• Pip
  • 5 posts
I just built my first computer and the moniter doesn't receive a signal. The light on the moniter stays yellow. I have tried everything suggested in other theads short of replacing hardware. I checked all connections, went through the manual, reset the CMOS, even put everything together on cardboard to check for case shorts. The fans spin, the hard drive spins, the case lights come on, but nothing appears on the monitor. Any help at all would be greatly appreciated. My system consists of:

Raidmax X-1 case (w/ 450watts PS2 ATX12V SATA Ready PSU)

ASUS Premium P5WD2 Mobo

Intel Pentium D 830 3.0ghz CPU

OCZ PC2 6400 DDR2 800 ram gold series (512Mb)

BFG Tech - NVIDIA GeForce FX 5500 256MB DDR video card

Western Digital 80gb Serial ATA Hard drive (caviar)

Also, I know that I'm probably going to have to buy another video card or PSU to see if either one has a problem, but I don't want to get stuck with an extra, so I also need to know where I can buy one (if needed) and then return it if it's not the problem.

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
does the monitor work on any other computers?
do you hear any POST beeps when the machine "BOOTS"?
does the mobo have an integrated graphix card as well?

adamtayco

adamtayco

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Yes the monitor works on other computers. As far as beeps go, it beeps once right after I press the power button, but thats it. I don't think that the motherboard has an integrated graphics card, but I could be wrong. I do know that there is no port to plug a moniter straight into the motherboard, so I'm guessing that there isn't anything integrated.

adamtayco

adamtayco

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Also, I tried to remove the ram to see how many beeps I would get and it is just one. Why am I getting just one beep with or without the ram? The sound is coming from what sounds like the front of the case.

heartofalion28

heartofalion28

• PipPip
  • 95 posts
just a quicky when i had this problem my vid card wasnt all the way in the slot also does the fan spin on the vid card if it doesnt at all then its probably that its shot.

Lion

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
is it one long beep? that usually suggests a ram failure, test it with one stick of ram at a time if you have more than one...or if you have access to another stick of the same kind of ram...also go to www.crucial.com and make sure you have the right kind of ram for your mobo

adamtayco

adamtayco

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
The fan on the video card does indeed spin. I have recently purchased a stick of ram that is definately compatible with the mobo, so I hope that it solves the problem. If it doesn't, is it possible the the power supply is too weak? It does run the fans and the lights, but is it possible that it could be underpowered? The PSU did come with the case so I'm not sure of it's quality. Also this being my first build and all, I did plug the power supply into the motherboard and turned it on before the ram and cpu were installed to see if the lights worked. Could this have hurt the mobo? [bleep] I'm dumb.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
as long as it was plugged in correctly...then no it shouldnt have hurt anything, most mobos will do the one long beep when it's a ram issue...either no ram, or bad ram....so that should be the problem...though you could indeed have too week of a psu..

adamtayco

adamtayco

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
I got the cheap stick of Wintec ram I ordered and it boots up perfectly now. After installing windows and a massive amount of drivers, I tried the OCZ Gold Series ram again. The problem returned with the OCZ memory, the fans would spin, the lights would work, but I received a single beep and the moniter light stayed yellow/orange. The last thing I tried was putting the Wintec in the first slot with the OCZ in the second. This resulted in the moniter coming on, but it wouldn't display anything but a blinking cursor. So in conclusion, the problem indeed was the ram. The trouble ram works well in other motherboards, but seems to be incompatible with the ASUS P5WD2 board. I really appreciate all of the help and input everyone gave me, thank you.

comanighttrain

comanighttrain

• PipPipPip
  • 553 posts
make sure you get your money back dude, Dave