Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows Can't Shutdown

• Please log in to reply

thamasta

thamasta

• PipPip
  • 81 posts
Hello. Whenever I try to shutdown my computer or restart nothing happens. It just stays at my desktop. If I try to log off or switch users I get a black screen and a small message window saying with the title of, "Parser Message" then in the window it says, "Value creation failed" at line 40" (with the quotation in the middle). The only way I can turn the computer off is by holding the power button. When I turn the computer on I get the same message and click ok a couple of times then I get to a log on screen where you have to type in a user and password. Normally I just click the user's name. This started this morning when I left the computer on (accidentally) and showered, when I came back my screensaver was on and I moved my mouse and I had the message. I tried going into safe mode and doing system restore but that didn't work and I couldn't shutdown from safe mode. When I eventually log on everything works normally. Please someone help me before I break my computer. :tazz:

Advertisements

WhatThe

WhatThe

• PipPipPip
  • 115 posts
This is link is about fixing your problem

http://www.softwaret...comments&id=152

thamasta

thamasta

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 81 posts
That didn't help at all. At the beginnning of that it says, "Fixing the dreaded "Parser Message: Value creation failed " at line 472" error." My error says lin 40.

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
Start > Run > cmd
sfc /scannow
You will be prompted for your XP cd

sfc - system file checker, retrieves the correct version of the file from %Systemroot%\System32\Dllcache or the Windows installation source files, and then replaces the incorrect file.

If you want to see what was replaced, right click My Computer > manage, expand event viewer > system.

HTH,
Johanna

thamasta

thamasta

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 81 posts
I don't have the windows xp disk. When I bought my computer windows xp was already installed.

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
Borrow one? Same version & kind.

Johanna

WhatThe

WhatThe

• PipPipPip
  • 115 posts
Did you do what it said to do, or not bother because the problem was slightly different?

thamasta

thamasta

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 81 posts
I did what it said and saw no difference.

WhatThe

WhatThe

• PipPipPip
  • 115 posts
OK sorry, seems like you need to do what CZarina says

thamasta

thamasta

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 81 posts
Ok I got a windows xp cd and did what CZarina said but... when I ran sfc/scannow, it did the scan and when it was done nothing happened. I wasn't prompted for the cd or anything.

Advertisements

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
If that is how you typed it, you did it wrong.

Johanna

thamasta

thamasta

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 81 posts
Ok this is what I did this time: I went Start, Run, cmd. it opened up and I typed in sfc /scannow, then a window popped up saying, "Windows File Protection. Please wait while Windows verifies that all protected Windows files are intact and in their original versions." When it finished scanning, that window closed and nothing else happened.

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts

If you want to see what was replaced, right click My Computer > manage, expand event viewer > system

Johanna

thamasta

thamasta

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 81 posts
K is there anything I have to do in that or should my problem be fixed because I didn't have to put the Windows XP disk at all?

thamasta

thamasta

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 81 posts
I'm still having the problem after doing everything Czarina said. Is there anything else I can do?