Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

ibm t20

• Please log in to reply

cmarshy201

cmarshy201

• Pip
  • 8 posts
:tazz: I have just purchased a second hand IBM T20 laptop with no operating system on it. I installed windows XP service pack 1 onto the the laptop with no problem and everything was fine. After a couple of weeks of no problems I took the laptop to work and plugged it into the network and turned the laptop on, as normal the IBM logo appeared but then a few short beeps and an error popped up saying" ERROR 0271:check time and date settings". It then went straight onto the bios page but none of the functions on the page work, no cursor movement, can't escape etc. I don't know if connecting the laptop to the network has done this or it was just coincidence but it will not go pass the bios page.Is there a way to start in "safe mode" maybe. Any help would be gratful.

Advertisements

Les1451

Les1451

• PipPipPip
  • 165 posts
Run the BIOS setup utility by pressing the F1 key during the boot process. Setting the date and time correctly in the BIOS should solve your problem.

cmarshy201

cmarshy201

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Thanks for the reply. When in the bios none of the "F" keys seem to do anything nor do the arrow keys,escape etc.

Les1451

Les1451

• PipPipPip
  • 165 posts
If you can't navigate within the BIOS try replacing the CMOS battery. Some further information Here

cmarshy201

cmarshy201

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
I will replace the CMOS battery and see what happens. Do yo know where i can get info on BIOS settings if i need them.I will let you know how i get on with new battery.Thanks Chris