Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Plus! Themes for Win98 Won't Install

• Please log in to reply

GoCompute

GoCompute

• PipPip
  • 98 posts
After I did my fresh install of Win98, I went in to the Windows Setup tab to restore some of my components, like the Windows Desktop Themes. When I went to install them, it told me to insert the "Windows 98 Second Edition disk and click OK". I did so, and my computer finds out that it isn't located on the disk. So I ejected the disk, and search my computer for the file BASEBA~1.ANI that it was looking for, apparently the Baseball theme. No go. I searched the Internet for the file and never found it. Can you guys help me solve this problem?

BTW, ever since my clean install of Win98, I sure have been getting a lot of this Insert Windows 98 disk and click OK" :tazz:

:) ,
Ethan

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
To eliminate a couple of things, boot the PC and keep tapping F8 right after the beep until you get options, select command prompt only, type scanreg.exe /fix then press enter, it will run through a few screens then say registry repaired. Press enter then press ctrl + alt + delete keys together to reboot.

When it has loaded, click start, all programmes, accessories, system tools, system information, tools then run system file checker and replace any files it asks for from the 98SE CD.

Running these checks will rebuild the registry and replace missing system files

This will reduce the insert disc and should replace the baseball theme

GoCompute

GoCompute

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 98 posts
Can this potentially damgage or uninstall some of my programs, or remove their registry entries?

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
No, it will repair missing entries in both which relate to 98SE

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
Is it possible that the original installation was made with another disk? And was this disk made by Microsoft or the computer maker? What information is on the disk, that is written on it?

Sorry about the twenty questions but not all disks are the same.

GoCompute

GoCompute

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 98 posts
The disk is a Genuine Microsoft Windows 98 SE disk. I choose a Typical installation, in fact, I used your tutorial. Everything went fine, and it never froze up like it said it may. I ran both Registry Checker and System File Checker inside Windows, I didn't perform it in MS-DOS, though, that shouldn't make a difference. Still a no go.

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
The disk I'm looking at now is win98se, for computers without Windows, version 410.2222a, product no. 115 and it has the themes. To find them I opened Control Panel, Add/Remove programs, Microsoft components, desktop themes.

Something I do when reinstalling is copy the entire win98 folder to the C: drive, and even run the installation from the copied folder. That way if the disk is lost the computer can still be restored. I also put a document entitled Msbatch.inf in the folder with this information

[Setup]
ProductKey=""

where the customer's product key goes in the quotes so that it will automatically come up if Windows is reinstalled. If they buy a new disk and reinstall Windows they only need to export the file to it after formatting, then run setup.

GoCompute

GoCompute

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 98 posts
Yes, I have that disk to, it is shiny silver and it has the globe and the ocean is filled with Genuine Microsoft. It is for PCs without Windows, and it doesn't have the themes. :tazz:

GoCompute

GoCompute

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 98 posts
What folder are the themes located on the disk?

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts

What folder are the themes located on the disk?

View Post

It's not in a folder, you have to install it from Add/Remove programs. It's in the cabinet files.

Advertisements

GoCompute

GoCompute

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 98 posts
Okay I tried installing them again, and I got the same results. Here are some screenshots:

This happens after I press "Apply" to install the themes:
Posted Image

This happens after I press "Ok" from the previous screen:
Posted Image

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
Sorry, but I can't read what they say, too much pixelation. Could you convert the entire screen captures to .jpeg and post them as attachments to this thread?

GoCompute

GoCompute

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 98 posts
Okay.

GoCompute

GoCompute

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 98 posts
The first one is when I attempt to install them after clicking "Apply".
The second one is after I insert the Windows 98 disk.

Attached Files

Edited by GoCompute, 21 August 2005 - 06:50 PM.

GoCompute

GoCompute

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 98 posts
Sorry that the pictures are so corrupt. I can't get the BMPs to convert correctly to JPEG. I tried attaching the BMPs, which are roughly 1.5 MB in size, and it says they are too large.