Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

XP problems :(

• Please log in to reply

Straylight

Straylight

• PipPip
  • 22 posts
Hello there...
I've recently bought a new computer and obtained a real version of XP to go with it, unfortunately we have lost the activation code :tazz:, it was printed on the label apparently but we cant find it anywhere. I've mananged to get another copy with the code but I dont know how to get rid of the original one? I just want it to go away so I can put the new XP on.. and I tried going to "add / remove programs" like the troubleshooter told me too and XP wasn't listed... All i need to know is how get rid of one copy and put another on... If anyone can help me, please let me know.
thanking you in advance.

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Download Everest Home here

http://www.lavalys.c...p?pid=1&lang=en

Click + next to software then licenses and it will give you the product number for the version which is already on there

Straylight

Straylight

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
Hello, I downloaded it... I couldnt find the software tab, but in the my computer section it wasn't there under XP. When I put it on orginally it said i have 30 days left to register XP until it stops working.. and i've never actually put the activation code in, would the Everest program still be able to give the code even though its never been typed in?!

Thanking you in advance

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
3rd from bottom in left column

Everest will tell you the product key

Straylight

Straylight

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
the list is as follows...

Computer
Motherboard
Display
Multimedia
Storage
Network
DirectX
Devices
Benchmark

there's no mention of the software tab, am I missing something obvious?

Thank you for your help here, it's very much appreciated.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Mine is Everest Pro so I apologise if Home does not have this, however, Belarc does

http://www.majorgeek...isor_d1385.html

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi Straylight...Welcome to G2G!

You can download Prudukey Here...you'll have to scroll down the page a ways to find the download link. It will give you the last XP product key that was entered into your machine. If your fresh XP install is the same version, it may work with this key. Is this a retail version? (CD in a booklet-like thing)? If it is, the product key should be on a yellow sticker on the cover of the booklet.

The only other option I know of is to use the "Activate by Phone" option and explain to them what happened...depending on who you talk to, they are usually pretty easy to deal with.

Good Luck!!!!

wannabe1

Straylight

Straylight

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
Thank you both very much for the help, all sorted :tazz:

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff