Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

PCI slot causing problems

• Please log in to reply

SandTiger

SandTiger

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi,

So I have a Dell Dimension 4300 as one of my computers at home. Recently I wanted to add a USB 2 PCI card to it so I can use more of the USB devices I have. For about two months everything was working fine, then suddenly my computer would freez in a blackscreen everytime I boot it up.

The first thing I did was start striping the PCI slots and as soon as I removed that USB card the computer worked fine. I switched the card to a different slot and the card works. So I'm guessing that the poroblem is with that specific PCI slot.

Is there anyway to fix this short of getting a new mobo?

Advertisements

humorsavesmysoul

humorsavesmysoul

• PipPip
  • 49 posts
is ur computer pretty dusty? i've seen some pretty digusting cases filled with dust not even a year old. build up of dust in a case can cause all sorts of problems. if there's dust in the PCI slot try blowing it out with compressed air.

SandTiger

SandTiger

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

is ur computer pretty dusty?  i've seen some pretty digusting cases filled with dust not even a year old.  build up of dust in a case can cause all sorts of problems.  if there's dust in the PCI slot try blowing it out with compressed air.

View Post

I clean my computer every month or two at the max. I just did that again earlier today and same issue is still there. Should I try to clean it with a swap or something?

Jack123

Jack123

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 944 posts
How many PCI Cards do you have? Does another Card work in there?
That is not uncommon - That is the one of the 1st "tricks" to do.

How many USB devices do you have? - Give List of MFG & Model Number - Do you have any EXTERNALLY POWERED USB Hubs?

What is MFG & Model Number of USB Card. AND did you get Mr. Dell's [PERMISSION] to use this USB Card???

Dell is notorious for rewiring connectors to force using DELL proprietary parts -

Do you have a TEMP Monitor Utility? a quick Free Download is EVEREST Home Edition see link http://www.lavalys.com/

Jack123

Edited by Jack123, 20 August 2005 - 05:15 PM.

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
It may be an interupt request problem. Something else may be using the interupt request line assigned to that slot.