Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

nforce codec problem

• Please log in to reply

adammj420

adammj420

• PipPipPip
  • 108 posts
i was going through my computer mangement updating devices automatically like a dumba** and i guess i did it to the audio codec or some other one.. and now when i try to get in ventrilo i get this message, and i cant hear the messages when i get an im on aim. but i know my sound works cause i did the speaker wizard for my headphones, and i could hear out of both headphones. also i tried a system restore but it was no help.

heres the error message!
Posted Image

please help

Edited by adammj420, 20 August 2005 - 06:29 PM.

Advertisements

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
Hi. Find the device in device manager and view the driver, and select roll back driver. That should get you back to where it was working.

adammj420

adammj420

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts
i tried that didnt seem to work, which one do u think i should roll back tho? audio codecs wont, i did it to ati wdm specializd mvd codecs and pcd and to my nvidia nforce audio codec interface. im stuck right now. i can use voice record in games and i can hear perfect, when i try to go to sound recorder, the play/record buttons are greyed out i cant even open a sound file and play it i can just fast forwardit to the end and rewind it to the beginning.

Edited by adammj420, 21 August 2005 - 05:16 PM.

adammj420

adammj420

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts
hmm

Edited by adammj420, 21 August 2005 - 05:48 PM.

adammj420

adammj420

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts
ty for trying :tazz:
got it figured out

1. Choose Start > Control Panel and double click Add hardware, then click Next.
Click "Yes, I have already connected the hardware" and click Next.

2. Choose Add a new hardware device at the bottom of the list and click Next.
Select "Install the hardware that I manually select from a list (Advanced)", and click Next.

3. Select "Sound, video and game controllers" from "Common hardware types" list and click Next.
Select "(Standard system devices)" from "Manufacturer" and click Have Disk.

4. Click Browse in the "Install From Disk" dialog box and open the folder C:\Windows\System32
Find mmdriver.inf file, select it and click Open then click OK in the "Install From Disk" dialog box. If you see a warning about logo compatibility, just click "Continue Anyway".

5. Now you should finally see a list of audio codecs. Amongst the other items, you should find Microsoft ADPCM Audio Codec and IMA ADPCM Audio Codec. You need to install them one by one so select either of these and click Next. This should re-install the codec (take care, you may need your Windows XP CD).

6. Reboot

- All default audio codecs are in the same list with Microsoft ADPCM Audio Codec and IMA ADPCM Audio Codec; just go to step 5 and select them.
- If you want to (re)install video codecs go to step 3 Select "(Standard system devices)" from "Manufacturer" and "Video Codecs" from "Model" then follow the instructions.

adammj420

adammj420

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts
i did it, and tried to get in ventrilo again. but now i get this error!?!!?!!?

Posted Image