Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Explorer Invalid Page Fault at <unknown>

• Please log in to reply

arossman

arossman

• Pip
  • 2 posts
After bootup, explorer immediately causes an error:

EXPLORER
X This program has performed an illegal operation and will shut down

Details:
EXPLORER caused an invalid page fault in module <unknown> at 0000:0043xxxx.

If I press enter or OK, the error will continue to occur. Eventually, the computer will freeze.

I can run programs from the start menu and desktop, but cannot open any folders, the control panel or explorer

HELP!

Advertisements

adammj420

adammj420

• PipPipPip
  • 108 posts
i found this on a site hope it helps!

Are you seeing this, "This program has performed an illegal operation and will be shut down"? This is known as a GPF or General Protection Fault. Some people call it a General Protection Error, not to be confused with a General Page Fault.

A General Page Fault - Invalid Page Fault, is different from a General Protection Fault. A Page Fault is caused by low or damaged physical memory, low free space for the paging file (swap file) or by a program accessing data in memory that is currently being modified by another program. It is called a Page Fault because the error is in the Paging of memory.

Program Error Messages (The big red X and a message stating that such and such program performed an illegal operation and will be shut down) are Invalid Page Faults, but the OS had a built in error trap to catch the error before handing it off to the CPU. To find andf fix these errors use System Sentry, now let me explain.

General Protection Faults are often caused by a software problem, you may need to update a device driver. It can also be cause by a program loading a DLL into memory at an address that is already used.

GPFs come from the CPU when it has exceptions and interrupts. When the CPU has exceptions and interrupts the CPU executes switches to a completely different code path to handle some external condition in the executing code. An interrupt is typically caused by an external stimulus—for example, a keystroke being hit. An exception is caused by an internal condition in the code or data that causes the processor to generate an exception. A classic example of an exception is the CPU attempting to read from a memory address that doesn’t have physical RAM mapped to it. Which means there is no such memory address

heres the link to the windows 95,98,millennium
http://www.easydesks...ps/Sysentry.zip

heres the link to the nt,2000,2003,xp download
http://www.easydesks...ps/NTsentry.zip

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
Have you added any software lately, or new drivers? They should be the first suspects.

If you go to Start>Programs>Accessories>System Tools>System Information, Software and look at 32bit modules loaded, if you scroll to the far right you will see the addresses in memory where the modules reside. If the fault address lies within the range of a module you will know that is the cause.

arossman

arossman

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Problem started while removing numerous! spyware, viruses and malware from a friends computer. Although quite successful in getting all the bad stuff removed, Explorer was left "hanging". I would assume that an extension was installed by a virus/spyware and completely removed.

Anyhow, I finally gave up and reinstalled Win98 again. Works perfectly and nothing lost.

topic can be closed.