Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Video Card Problem?

• Please log in to reply

HyDekar

HyDekar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts
ATI are keeping their mouths shut on the subject, and won't confirm anything.
I'm not sure if all the reports of the Radeon 9800's overheating are true, alot of people could, as said a number of times before, just be jumping on the bandwagon to go against ATI.
I for one would never do this. All the GPU's I've ever had were ATI Radeons (First one being a 9200-SE), and I've loved it ever since. I'm not blaming Radeon for this problem, I just believe they should look into it a bit further.
Well, that's my rant on that subject :tazz:

My new 500W Power Supply turned up today, and I installed it. Everything SEEMS to be working well... I played Neverwinter Nights for over 2 hours straight with no problems (except for a crash, which involved Hardware Sound Support, and nothing to do with my previous problems, but I fixed that). I also played Battlefield 2 for a while (which is running like a dream now that I have 1GB of ram :)), however that crashed after about 10 minutes. I think, from reading around, that this also was a sound problem ([bleep] games and their lack of sound support), and I've fixed that one up as well, however I haven't tried it again...

Just to recap, because of my freezing I've bought and installed the following:

Thermaltake Giant III Video Cooler - AU$53.00
512MB DDR400 PC3200 DIMM - AU$90.00
500W X-Connect PSU - AU$175.00

So overall I've spent over AU$300 on this problem, and that's not even including postage, since I buy everything online. So this better work *glares at computer*...

I'm thinking if I have any more problems, I may have to put it in for a professional service, but I don't want it to come to that.

Ah well, as usual, I'll keep you all updated.

Also, warriorscot, I also have the latest 5.8 Catalyst Drivers and 1.1 .Net Framework...

Ever since I upgraded to the 5.8 drivers, the computer stopped freezing on desktop and only in games, which makes me think that part of the problem was the drivers.

And idenwa, sorry to hear about your problem. I had a friend who's fan burnt out after a short time as well, thus why I was all too eager to by an aftermarket cooler. But even before I bought it my fan was fine (my finger can prove it :)), and ran well, as does the new Thermaltake Giant III cooler's fan.
During desktop work, I leave the fan on LOW speed and it works fine. I've left it on for over 48 hours straight recently last weekend, and didn't have a problem with it, not one freeze, so I was ecstatic about that.
During gaming, I turn it up to medium, and it runs fine as well, lately... Sometimes I will turn it on high, say during a LAN when there will be long amounts of gaming for hours on end.

I hope you get your problem sorted out soon :ph34r:

Thanks again all, remember, any help is GREATLY appreciated (am I repeating myself alot, or what? :))...

- HyDekar

Advertisements

biyectivo

biyectivo

• PipPip
  • 40 posts
man, please post an update on your problem. I'm having similar problems, I think it might be the PSU (generic)... However, it only happens on newer games - for example, Call of Duty UO will NOT freeze a single time in over 350 hours of play.

Soul Bleed

Soul Bleed

• PipPip
  • 20 posts
Also for your ram sticks, do they have heat shield spredders on them?
I have 2 - pc3200 ram 512k ea stick and was wondering if your ram was overheating...

HyDekar

HyDekar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts
You know, I never thought about it being a RAM overheating problem :)
I was going to buy a RAM cooler as well, just to make sure... So in a week or so, I'll rule that problem out :)

Also, an update... There has been a little improvement... I played UT2003 for about an hour or so, and not a freeze. In fact I managed to finish the bombing run and flag capture ladders before I got bored and quit...
HOWEVER, I played Battlefield 2 for about... say 15mins... And it froze with the same ol' symptoms what we know and love...
Of course, this 'could' be a problem with Battlefield to I have, I'll look around to make sure...
I fixed this problem, details below...

I also played Battlefield 1942 and Vietnam with no freezing (both on FULL graphics), which makes me think that from here on, it's only software problems which I've got to figure out... I hope... *hopes*

HOWEVER AGAIN, I will be keeping a VERY close eye on it... On the weekend, I will probably get 2 friends over, and have a small LAN, so I'll tell ya's how that went afterwards, and whether I get some re-occurences (?)...

Also, biyectivo, I know exactly how you're feeling. You may have noticed that the games that I usually play, are working fine, however the newer games (eg. BF2) are causing the problems. I can't really say whether it's the PSU that caused the problem, or not, as due to my huge makeover on my PC just because of this problem. And due to my lack of constant testing, and checking, I'm not sure exactly what may have fixed the problem, if it is fixed at all...

However I did find that it deffinitely cannot hurt to upgrade from a generic PSU... It's at least one problem you can rule out, and these days the word generic makes people *shudder* anyhow, so why not? :) :tazz:
But like I said, I can't comment whether it's your PSU that's causing your problem. What wattage is it?

I'll get back to you all after the weekend (I'll be busy non-stop all week until then), and tell ya's how it went and whether it's working... Cross your fingers for me that I don't post before then, as it means that it obviously isn't working, lol...

- HyDekar

EDIT: Well, I fixed my problem with BF2... It was Sound Hardware Support... This really sucks how most games that support EAX or Hardware support, actually have problems with it... Ah well, I'll live...

I managed to play 2 whole rounds... The second round elongated because I couldn't find the last person alive on the other team, in the end he was sitting in a stinger missle launcher...
So I'm pretty positive that I've fixed the problem :ph34r:
I'm sorry if any information I've given is missing bits... If you have any questions, just ask, and I'll deffinitely answer...

Thanks!

- HyDekar

Edited by HyDekar, 07 September 2005 - 07:21 AM.