Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Lost my CD-ROM

• Please log in to reply

Dadoo

Dadoo

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Dear Uncomputer-challenged Ones,

I have lost my CD-ROM drive or at least the pathway configuring it. The CD-Rom will light, open and close, but there it ends! When I look in My Computer the D: drive designation and CD-Rom label are missing. I have tried to reinstall the CD-ROM using the add/remove hardware wizard. When I do, I get the CD-Rom model info with a yellow overlapping Icon. Clicking on this gives me a Code 31 error report...[QUOTE]This device depends on another device that is not functioning correctly.[QUOTE] Thinking I have lost the drivers to the CD-ROM, I have done loaded them and reinstalled them in WINNT Sys 32 drivers file. Rebooted and got the same old story!!!
I went out and bought a new CD-ROM and tried to install it and ....VOILA!!! Nothing, Nada, Zilch except for a code 31error!

Can someone please help this 55 year old father and no-computer-genius get things back to working order?

Blessings,

Dadoo :tazz:

Advertisements

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
If your cd-rom came with a disk reinstall the software. If you reformatted and reinstalled Windows you need to update your chipset drivers. But maybe first, check to see that the IDE cable is installed correctly at both ends.

bdlt

bdlt

• PipPipPip
  • 876 posts
you might look here too error codes 19 31 32 39

Dadoo

Dadoo

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Thank you both, but alas your help was to no avail!

There was no disk with the CD-ROM. The hardware wizard says it is supported with the drivers present. The IDE cable is correctly attached at both ends.

I checked out the Microsoft site and implemented their two resolutions:

1. I entered Regedt.32.exe and removed the upper and lower filters to the HKEY....
NO LUCK
2. I uninstalled Windows Media Player 7.0 and down loaded ver 9.0 from there site...
NO LUCK

Now I am getting an error message that says the D: folder or file has been removed or is missing?

So now the question moves on to how does one create a folder that will I presume enable the pathway?

Blessings,

Dadoo :tazz:

Dad of five at home who need this CD-Rom to work before school starts up!

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts

The hardware wizard says it is supported with the drivers present.

View Post

Sometimes it will tell you the right drivers are present when they aren't, especially if it is the default drivers. And the chipset drivers may still need to be updated if it isn't a computer mfrs. disk or the cd-rom is a replacement. You may also need to check in Setup to see that eveything is enabled, though reinstalling shouldn't change that.