Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Back Up Hard Drive (External)

• Please log in to reply

DennConn

DennConn

• PipPip
  • 49 posts
:tazz: I have a Dell 8400 Dimension, Pentium 4 CPU 3.6GHZ, 2.0 GB Ram, Maxtor 250 GB Internal Drive. After my internal drive Crashed (6 Months old), I had the drive replaced. I am now up and running now on XP Pro, but just bought an Additional 300 GB SATA Internal Drive for the second slot. I don't plan to be without a backup. I also bought a Seagate 300GB External Drive(One button Push Backup). I do not want to be caught again.

However after reading numerous totally negative reviews on the Seagate External Drive, and how it failed to work after a few weeks and months, I am about to return the box (Still unopened) and get a nother external drive. I looked at the Maxtor II one button back up, but it too has so many negative reviews I hesitate to buy that. Where can I find good information on which external back up drive is the best and most reliable. Arn't these hard drive manufacturers thinking quality?? I know you might not be able to recommend one, but I don't want to buy one and have it crash on me. Any suggestions. ??? :)

Advertisements

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
There seem to be a lot of bad reviews on the ultra-large drives that are being made right now. Probably the best course is just to turn your backup drive off when not loading to or from it.

DennConn

DennConn

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts
Thanks Tyger I tend to agree, I have searched the internet for almost three days, and the reviews on the 250 and 300 to 400 GB External Drives have a 95 percent totally negative rating. out of about 25 reader reviews on some of them over 20 of them rated most drives in the 1 to 2 range out of a possible 10.

I think I am going to return my seagate 300GB external drive and get my money back. Don't the manufacturers read these reviews? :tazz:

thanks again for your thoughts

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
Hi. I looked at a multitude of reviews too, and then decided to get an enclosure that I could put the hd of my choice in. I presently have 4 such units, all working very well. You can get usb, firewire or combo enclosures.

DennConn

DennConn

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts
Austin_0
I started thinking this way too.
I just saw a few enclosures that I thought would do that.
What type did you get, and can you add multiple drives in them. I assume you get a internal drive and the enclosure had the connection for firewire to connect that way.
do you have a web site that evaluates enclosures?
Perhaps I can find one at frys?

Thanks for the great idea. I think I will take my expensive piece of "Junk" as others have called it, and exchange it for an enclosure and a internal hard drive.

Might work better.

thanks again

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
I used google and searched for "hard drive enclosure". Today such a search turns up over a million hits. I got my first enclosure from http://www.xpcgear.com/enclosures.html It was a USB2/Firewire combo. I got a Samsung 160 G hd to put in it. Next one I got was ADS USB2, from my local Walmart! I put a 250 G Western Digital hd in it. My local CompUSA had an enclosure, but I liked the one at Walmart better! Lots to choose from. This is the way to go.