Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Unknown object on desktop

• Please log in to reply

StreetBoy

StreetBoy

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi Everyone, I wonder if anyone has experienced the same thing or has any ideas as to what is going on...

When I start and use my WinXP SP2 system all is normal (as far as normal gets..hehe), and although it's not really a big problem, when I use alt-tab to cycle through the various windows open I always find an unidentified window/object in the list, and if I select it, it brings up a small grey box in the top left corner of my screen. There is no description of what it is, and the icon (in the list) is just a default window icon, i.e. a white box with a blue strip on top. Once it's there, i can't select or highlight it, move it or right-click it or anything, its just there. Again, it only appears after I use alt-tab.

I am completely baffled as to what it is, and can't find any info anywhere. I am usually upto tackling whatever goes on, and normally keep up with the usuall quirks one has to deal with on a regular basis, even fixing other people's pcs, but this has got me stumped!

Any ideas/help would be much appreciated, thanks... :tazz:

Advertisements

lucien

lucien

• PipPip
  • 79 posts
when you open task manager does it show up in processes? or in applications for that matter?

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
Try right clicking it and looking at the various options, properties, source code, etc. and you may find what it is. It may well be part of some trojan or spyware/adware.