Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Monitor problem

• Please log in to reply

cch3mm

cch3mm

• PipPip
  • 24 posts
I have a friend who is bringing over his computer tommorow for me to work on. He said that when he starts up his computer, the monitor won't work. I think that is what he was telling me, I really didn't ask much I just told him to bring it over.

My guess is that his graphics card is fryed or maybe it's the monitor it's self.

Do you guys have any gusses to it?

Advertisements

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
About the only way to tell is by substitution, which is what you'll be doing. I know that some of the newer monitors won't handle the vga mode during boot sequence or in setup on the older machines.

fioreskater

fioreskater

• PipPip
  • 49 posts
well same thing is happened to a computer i just got from ebay game with everything except ram so i added the ram turned it on and my montior wouldnt go on it would stay in like hibernation mode the montior anyways let me know if u figured out what was wrong with your friends computer cause i could use some help too and its not the montior im using it now

cch3mm

cch3mm

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
I just spoke with him and here is what he had to say.

The computer turns on and the monitor turns on and then turns off. He tried it on two other monitors and it does the same thing.

My guess is it has something to do with the graphics card? Maybe lightinging got to it?

fioreskater

fioreskater

• PipPip
  • 49 posts
same thing is happening with me and my video is intergrated i also had this problem with my current pc all i did was took everything out of the motherboard and pluged everything back in and it booted fine but my other computer no mater what i do the montior wont go on its most likely a motherboard but it could also have something to do with the ram but im not sure cause i cant figure it out

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
Check on your power management settings, also you display settings, and you may have to go into setup too. You may have something set to turn the monitor off after a certain, too short a time to save power.

I would do this before any hardware changes.

cch3mm

cch3mm

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
How do I do that when it won't even boot up?

Stasiek

Stasiek

• PipPip
  • 76 posts
so what is the problem? you first said that the pc turn on and the monitor turns on but in your recent posts you say that it wont even post.

what are the system specifications? also ask your friend if he has made any hardware changes? ix.it worked fine untill i did/installed this

fioreskater

fioreskater

• PipPip
  • 49 posts
well i got mine off of ebay the guy said he never finished putting it together even tho all he had to do was add ram when i turn on the pc the montior doesnt go on meaning i cant change any settings and the moment i got this it wouldnt go on i tried clearing the cmos and still the montior wont go on my motherboard is a biostar m7vkq socket a amd xp 2000+ processor and 2 128 mb of ram pc 133 also what does oem mean?

Edited by fioreskater, 21 August 2005 - 11:43 PM.

Stasiek

Stasiek

• PipPip
  • 76 posts
(fioreskater) you need to create your own topic for your problem, it's the rules

cch3mm

cch3mm

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
I get the computer in like 6 hours.

He said when he turns on the computer, the monitor turns on and makes sound like its turning on, then turns off. All it shows is black, like it is off. The computer still runs, it doesn't reboot or turn off.

fioreskater

fioreskater

• PipPip
  • 49 posts
let me kno what happenes