Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer keeps saying it's infected [RESOLVED]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

GARCIA8287

GARCIA8287

• Pip
  • 7 posts
Hi,

My computer has been running slowly. My cable internet even takes a while. The other week I started to get weird emails that I never go before because it is a new account and I am not suppose to get that stuff. Just last night I got a pop up that said my computer was infected and then my homepage address was about:blank. Now, a page came up from what I believe to be the security center from windows and my anti-virus from Trendmicro offered me two options of programs to get rid of my problems PC Guard and Spy Sheriff. Both had sites that looked professional and safe (they even had the lock at the bottom of the page). I got Spy Sheriff. I ran it and it said it found well over 300 problems. It got rid of them told me to rebot then scanned and found over 200 more. However, I went on the computer today and got a pop up on my taskbar that said my computer was infected and the about:blank was on my web address bar. I used the software again. Wouldn't you know that it found well over 300 problems again. I can switch my homepage back to msn but when I restarted my computer Spy Sheriff short cut was off my computer (I had to reinstall) and about:blank was back.

I am wanting to know if there is a way to check my internet setting to make sure they are high enough and how to fix this problem that I thought I was safe from because I got a new anti-virus after I had to reformat my computer. Also, I have been getting a lot of errors when trying to burn CDs.

I hope someone can help me, I am really scared to have to reformat my computer. I don't have the money. Thank you for your time.

Advertisements

Daemon

Daemon

Security Expert

• Retired Staff
  • 4,356 posts
  • MVP
Click here to download HijackThis by Merijn Bellekom. Doubleclick the file, click Unzip and extract the application to C:\HijackThis. Run it from there to scan your computer.

When the scan is finished, the "Scan" button will change into a "Save Log" button. Save the log, Ctrl-A to Select All and post it here for examination. Don't fix anything yet as most of what it lists will be harmless.

GARCIA8287

GARCIA8287

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
here is my logo. thank you for the help.

Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
Scan saved at 5:39:51 PM, on 8/21/2005
Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP2 (6.00.2900.2180)

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\LEXBCES.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\LEXPPS.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\system32\carpserv.exe
C:\Program Files\Lexmark X74-X75\lxbbbmgr.exe
C:\Program Files\Trend Micro\Internet Security\pccguide.exe
C:\Program Files\Trend Micro\Internet Security\PCClient.exe
C:\Program Files\Trend Micro\Internet Security\TMOAgent.exe
C:\Program Files\Ulead Systems\Ulead Photo Explorer 8.0 SE Basic\Monitor.exe
C:\Program Files\Java\j2re1.4.2_08\bin\jusched.exe
C:\Program Files\Lexmark X74-X75\lxbbbmon.exe
C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
C:\Program Files\SpySheriff\SpySheriff.exe
C:\Program Files\Trend Micro\Internet Security\Tmntsrv.exe
C:\Program Files\Trend Micro\Internet Security\tmproxy.exe
C:\Program Files\Trend Micro\Internet Security\PccPfw.exe
C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe
C:\Program Files\Windows NT\Accessories\wordpad.exe
C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe
C:\WINDOWS\explorer.exe
C:\Documents and Settings\Stefanie\Desktop\hijackthis\HijackThis.exe

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = about:blank
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Bar = about:blank
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = about:blank
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = about:blank
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Bar = about:blank
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = about:blank
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\SearchURL,(Default) = http://www.bestwebsl...earch.php?qq=%1
R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Local Page = about:blank
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Local Page = about:blank
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [CARPService] carpserv.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Lexmark X74-X75] "C:\Program Files\Lexmark X74-X75\lxbbbmgr.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [pccguide.exe] "C:\Program Files\Trend Micro\Internet Security\pccguide.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [PCClient.exe] "C:\Program Files\Trend Micro\Internet Security\PCClient.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [TM Outbreak Agent] "C:\Program Files\Trend Micro\Internet Security\TMOAgent.exe" /run
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Ulead AutoDetector] C:\Program Files\Ulead Systems\Ulead Photo Explorer 8.0 SE Basic\Monitor.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [KernelFaultCheck] %systemroot%\system32\dumprep 0 -k
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SunJavaUpdateSched] C:\Program Files\Java\j2re1.4.2_08\bin\jusched.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [intell32.exe] C:\WINDOWS\system32\intell32.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [PSGuard] C:\Program Files\PSGuard\PSGuard.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [MSMSGS] "C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe" /background
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [SpySheriff] C:\Program Files\SpySheriff\SpySheriff.exe
O4 - Global Startup: Adobe Gamma Loader.lnk = C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Calibration\Adobe Gamma Loader.exe
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\WINDOWS\System32\msjava.dll
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Sun Java Console - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\WINDOWS\System32\msjava.dll
O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O12 - Plugin for .spop: C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\Plugins\NPDocBox.dll
O16 - DPF: {01CA75F1-054B-4A63-9221-C6926369EC52} (HS_live Control) - http://install.homes...ive/HS_live.cab
O16 - DPF: {3299935F-2C5A-499A-9908-95CFFF6EF8C1} (Quicksilver Class) - http://scpwna.ops.pl...quicksilver.cab
O16 - DPF: {5AA5A569-F96F-4628-A528-8B3698F558BB} (HS_live Control) - http://install.homes...ive/HS_live.cab
O16 - DPF: {6414512B-B978-451D-A0D8-FCFDF33E833C} (WUWebControl Class) - http://v5.windowsupd...b?1099163124935
O23 - Service: LexBce Server (LexBceS) - Lexmark International, Inc. - C:\WINDOWS\system32\LEXBCES.EXE
O23 - Service: Trend Micro Personal Firewall (PccPfw) - Trend Micro Incorporated. - C:\Program Files\Trend Micro\Internet Security\PccPfw.exe
O23 - Service: Trend NT Realtime Service (Tmntsrv) - Trend Micro Incorporated. - C:\Program Files\Trend Micro\Internet Security\Tmntsrv.exe
O23 - Service: Trend Micro Proxy Service (tmproxy) - Trend Micro Incorporated. - C:\Program Files\Trend Micro\Internet Security\tmproxy.exe

Daemon

Daemon

Security Expert

• Retired Staff
  • 4,356 posts
  • MVP
We'll use some clean-up tools first - if you already have any of these and you are sure they are the latest version then just skip and move on to the next one.

Click here to download Spybot Search & Destroy v1.4 - install, update, scan and fix all RED items it finds. Reboot when done.

Click here to download Ad-Aware SE and install. Before scanning click on "check for updates now" to make sure you have the latest reference file.
  • Click "Start"
  • Select "Perform Full System scan"
  • Click "Next" to start the scan.
When the scan is finished, the screen will tell you if anything has been found.
  • Click "Next". The bad files will be listed.
  • Right click the pane and click "Select all objects" - this will put a check mark in the box at the side.
  • Click "Next" again
  • Click "OK" at the prompt "# objects will be removed. Continue?".
Reboot when done.

Click here to download Microsoft AntiSpyware Beta, check for updates and run it. Reboot when done.

Click here to download ewido security suite - it is a trial version of the program.
  • Install ewido security suite
  • When installing, under "Additional Options" uncheck "Install background guard" and "Install scan via context menu".
  • Launch ewido, there should be an icon on your desktop double-click it.
  • The program will now go to the main screen
You will need to update ewido to the latest definition files.
  • On the left hand side of the main screen click update
  • Then click on Start Update
The update will start and a progress bar will show the updates being installed. If you are having problems with the updater, you can use this link to manually update ewido. Then:
  • Click on scanner
  • Click on Complete System Scan and the scan will begin (do not open any folders or open the windows control panel while the scan is in progress).
  • While the scan is in progress you will be prompted to clean files, click OK
  • When it asks if you want to clean the first file, put a check in the lower left corner of the box that says "Perform action on all infections" then choose clean and click OK.
  • Once the scan has completed, there will be a button located on the bottom of the screen named Save report
  • Click Save report.
  • Save the report .txt file to your desktop.
Now close ewido security suite.

Rescan with HJT and post a new log here together with the ewido log so that any remnants can be removed manually.

GARCIA8287

GARCIA8287

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
thank you for the help. Here is the new log

Scan saved at 10:13:22 AM, on 8/22/2005

Running processes:
C:\Program Files\Microsoft AntiSpyware\gcasServ.exe
C:\Program Files\ewido\security suite\ewidoctrl.exe
C:\Program Files\ewido\security suite\ewidoguard.exe
C:\Program Files\Microsoft AntiSpyware\gcasDtServ.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\wuauclt.exe

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = about:blank
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = about:blank
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\SearchURL,(Default) = about:blank
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {53707962-6F74-2D53-2644-206D7942484F} - C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\SDHelper.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Lexmark X74-X75] "C:\Program Files\Lexmark X74-X75\lxbbbmgr.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [pccguide.exe] "C:\Program Files\Trend Micro\Internet Security\pccguide.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [PCClient.exe] "C:\Program Files\Trend Micro\Internet Security\PCClient.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [TM Outbreak Agent] "C:\Program Files\Trend Micro\Internet Security\TMOAgent.exe" /run
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Ulead AutoDetector] C:\Program Files\Ulead Systems\Ulead Photo Explorer 8.0 SE Basic\Monitor.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SunJavaUpdateSched] C:\Program Files\Java\j2re1.4.2_08\bin\jusched.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [gcasServ] "C:\Program Files\Microsoft AntiSpyware\gcasServ.exe"
O4 - Global Startup: Adobe Gamma Loader.lnk = C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Calibration\Adobe Gamma Loader.exe
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\WINDOWS\System32\msjava.dll
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Sun Java Console - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\WINDOWS\System32\msjava.dll
O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O16 - DPF: {01CA75F1-054B-4A63-9221-C6926369EC52} (HS_live Control) - http://install.homes...ive/HS_live.cab
O16 - DPF: {17492023-C23A-453E-A040-C7C580BBF700} (Windows Genuine Advantage Validation Tool) - http://go.microsoft....k/?linkid=39204
O16 - DPF: {3299935F-2C5A-499A-9908-95CFFF6EF8C1} (Quicksilver Class) - http://scpwna.ops.pl...quicksilver.cab
O16 - DPF: {5AA5A569-F96F-4628-A528-8B3698F558BB} (HS_live Control) - http://install.homes...ive/HS_live.cab
O16 - DPF: {6414512B-B978-451D-A0D8-FCFDF33E833C} (WUWebControl Class) - http://v5.windowsupd...b?1099163124935
O23 - Service: ewido security suite control - ewido networks - C:\Program Files\ewido\security suite\ewidoctrl.exe
O23 - Service: ewido security suite guard - ewido networks - C:\Program Files\ewido\security suite\ewidoguard.exe
O23 - Service: LexBce Server (LexBceS) - Lexmark International, Inc. - C:\WINDOWS\system32\LEXBCES.EXE
O23 - Service: Trend Micro Personal Firewall (PccPfw) - Trend Micro Incorporated. - C:\Program Files\Trend Micro\Internet Security\PccPfw.exe
O23 - Service: Trend NT Realtime Service (Tmntsrv) - Trend Micro Incorporated. - C:\Program Files\Trend Micro\Internet Security\Tmntsrv.exe
O23 - Service: Trend Micro Proxy Service (tmproxy) - Trend Micro Incorporated. - C:\Program Files\Trend Micro\Internet Security\tmproxy.exe

Daemon

Daemon

Security Expert

• Retired Staff
  • 4,356 posts
  • MVP
Download smitRem.exe and save the file to your desktop. Double click on the file to extract it to it's own folder on the desktop.

Next, please reboot your computer into Safe Mode by tapping F8 after the BIOS has loaded. Scan with HJT and place a checkmark next to each of the following items:

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\SearchURL,(Default) = about:blank

Open the smitRem folder, then double click the RunThis.bat file to start the tool. Follow the prompts on screen. Wait for the tool to complete and disk cleanup to finish.

The tool will create a log named smitfiles.txt in the C:\ drive. Reboot to Normal Mode. Please post that log along with another HJT log in your next reply.

GARCIA8287

GARCIA8287

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
hello yet again. Thanks so much for your patients. I ran what you told me and here are the logs. My concern now is how much slower my computer is running now. Slower than before.

Scan saved at 12:25:06 PM, on 8/22/2005

Running processes:
C:\Program Files\ewido\security suite\ewidoctrl.exe
C:\Program Files\ewido\security suite\ewidoguard.exe
C:\Program Files\Microsoft AntiSpyware\gcasServ.exe
C:\Program Files\Microsoft AntiSpyware\gcasDtServ.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\wuauclt.exe

O2 - BHO: (no name) - {53707962-6F74-2D53-2644-206D7942484F} - C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\SDHelper.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [gcasServ] "C:\Program Files\Microsoft AntiSpyware\gcasServ.exe"
O16 - DPF: {17492023-C23A-453E-A040-C7C580BBF700} (Windows Genuine Advantage Validation Tool) - http://go.microsoft....k/?linkid=39204
O23 - Service: ewido security suite control - ewido networks - C:\Program Files\ewido\security suite\ewidoctrl.exe
O23 - Service: ewido security suite guard - ewido networks - C:\Program Files\ewido\security suite\ewidoguard.exe

smitRem log file
version 2.3

by noahdfear

The current date is: Mon 08/22/2005
The current time is: 12:16:36.85

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

ShudderLTD key present! Running LTDFix!

ShudderLTD key was successfully removed! :)

Pre-run Files Present

~~~ Program Files ~~~

~~~ Shortcuts ~~~

~~~ Favorites ~~~

~~~ system32 folder ~~~

logfiles

~~~ Icons in System32 ~~~

~~~ Windows directory ~~~

~~~ Drive root ~~~

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Post-run Files Present

~~~ Program Files ~~~

~~~ Shortcuts ~~~

~~~ Favorites ~~~

~~~ system32 folder ~~~

~~~ Icons in System32 ~~~

~~~ Windows directory ~~~

~~~ Drive root ~~~

~~~ Wininet.dll ~~~

wininet.dll INFECTED!! :tazz: Starting replacement procedure.

~~~~ Looking for C:\WINDOWS\system32\dllcache\wininet.dll ~~~~

~~~~ dllcache\wininet.dll not present! ~~~~

~~~~ Looking for C:\WINDOWS\$hf_mig$\KB890923\SP2QFE\wininet.dll ~~~~

~~~~ C:\WINDOWS\$hf_mig$\KB890923\SP2QFE Present! ~~~~

~~~~ Checking KB890923\SP2QFE\wininet.dll for infection ~~~~

~~~~ KB890923\SP2QFE Clean! ~~~~

~~~ Replaced wininet.dll from KB890923\SP2QFE ~~~

~~~ Upon reboot ~~~

wininet.old present!
oleadm.dll not present!
oleext.dll not present!

~~~ Upon completion ~~~

wininet.old not present!
oleadm.dll not present!
oleext.dll not present!

~~~~ Rechecking C:\WINDOWS\system32\wininet.dll for infection ~~~~

~~~~ C:\WINDOWS\system32\wininet.dll Clean! :) ~~~~

Daemon

Daemon

Security Expert

• Retired Staff
  • 4,356 posts
  • MVP
The malware appears to have gone. Disable ewido guard and fix these entries with HJT:

Click here to download System Security Suite. Extract it from the zip file into a folder and doubleclick on sss.exe. Check the boxes under the 'Items to Clear' tab and click 'Clear Selected Items'. You will be prompted to reboot, do so. Repeat for all log-in accounts on your computer.

GARCIA8287

GARCIA8287

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Thank you for your help getting rid of malware. Could you tell me what is wrong with my cd player? Every single CD I burn ends with an error message and I am so scared to not be able to open these CDs they are the only copies I have of my sons pictures.

Daemon

Daemon

Security Expert

• Retired Staff
  • 4,356 posts
  • MVP
You're welcome - glad to help :tazz:

I can't help you with the CD - sorry. Start a topic in the Hardware, Components and Periferals forum and someone there will help.

To help keep you clean follow the recommendations in Tony's article here:

So how did I get infected in the first place?

As this problem has been resolved the topic will be closed. If you need this topic reopened, please email the moderating team - be sure to include the address of the thread and the name you posted under.