Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

AMD 2800+ Not reading correct speed on Asus A7S333

• Please log in to reply

chrisban35

chrisban35

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I have an AMD Athlon 2800+ CPU and an Asus A7S333 MB and I'm running 1,024MB of PC2700 RAM. The book suggests setting the CPU in manual mode in the BIOS however I'm a little lost on the EXACT settings for both the memory and the CPU settings. Right now I've played with it a little bit and I have it running at 1825Mhz speed and Lord knows what the heck I've gotten screwed up in the BIOS!! LOL Please Help!!! Thanks in advance for any help you may provide me.

Chris Banzet

Edited by chrisban35, 21 August 2005 - 06:28 PM.

Advertisements

zxSolidSnakexz

zxSolidSnakexz

• PipPip
  • 40 posts
Is this an Athlon 64?

Socket 939 2800+s are rated for 1.8ghz, so you are running it at the correct speed.

Are you experiencing slow performance?

munky

munky

• PipPip
  • 33 posts
Go into your bios and set your FSB to 166MHz. I had the same prob with mine. Mine was reading as a 2200+ or something at 1.6GHz. Hope that works.

chrisban35

chrisban35

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
thanks for the posts guys. Actually as bad as it sounds I'm not sure but I don't think it's an Athlon 64 just an Athlon. in fact I know that my socket type for this motherboard is a Socket 462 If that helps. :tazz: But I'm not sure, I'd have to check the CPU. As for the second post, I will try that and see if putting my FSB at 166Mhz helps. So far to date, I was told to put the BIOS CPU speed to manual and then adjust it to the following: 166/42 Clock speed at 11.0x and then leave the RAM speed at normal. I've gotten a little bit better performance so far but I know I'm still below what I'm used to seeing other 2800+'s run at. And I do understand each system and it's software makes a difference in speed, but I know I'm well below the mark. :) Again, thanks for the replies... :)

Edited by chrisban35, 24 August 2005 - 01:35 PM.

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Hi,

Socket 462 is a athlon not a athlon 64 it is also called socket A.

It could be either a athlon xp or a semperon.

Both are set to 166mhz but the xp runs at 2083mhz and the semperon runs at 2000mhz.

You canot change the multiplyer witch accounts for the 83mhz differance between the xp and semperon.

So if you set the fsb at 166 and you have a xp the multiplier would be 12.5
166X12.5= 2083

If you have a semperon you set the fsb at 166 the multiplier is 12
166X12= 2000.

So you should be seeing either 2083mhz or 2000 depending on witch processor you have.

Rick

chrisban35

chrisban35

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
That is some good detailed info. Thanks. The problem is when I set the multiplier for anything higher than 11X it simply does not start up. Instead I get the two CDROM lights to intermittenly change but no boot up. Here's the exact setup procedure that gets me where I am today. Using the Asus handbook for the A7S333 MB for guidance, I set the JEN switch to jumper 2-3 which allows me to be in the "Jumper Free" Mode. I ensure that ALL my Dipswitches are set to "OFF", I then go to my BIOS, which is updated to latest BIOS version of 1006, and set my CPU to Manual. Then I set my FSB speed to 166/42(the highest available selection) and my multiplier to 11.0x (will not work in any other multiplier) and leave my RAM setttings at normal speed for latency and so on..... But this only produces a speed of about 1,825Mhz.. :tazz: So obviously, I'm doing something wrong. :) and by the way, I know for a fact now my CPU is an Athlon 2800+. Thanks for the info and maybe someone out there can help.. LOL I'm an IT person and right now I'm feeling pretty much like I'm out of my element here.... :) LOL

Chris Banzet

Edited by chrisban35, 25 August 2005 - 11:18 AM.

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
I don't think you are doing anything wrong, that should be right with the exception of you cannot change the multiplyer its locked a feature amd and intel for that matter has locked for a couple years now. Even though the bios gives you the option you can't change it.

I would contact amd with this matteror at least ask in there forums.

Rick