Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

video cards crash but recover.

• Please log in to reply

RogueComGeek

RogueComGeek

• PipPipPip
  • 141 posts
AMD Athlon64 winchester [email protected]

ASUS k8v deluxe(k8t800pro chipset) (S939)

OCZ el low latency dual channel 2x512MB pc3200 2-3-2-6

XFX 6600gt 256MB AGP version ripped fan off and put LOGISYS Computer CF206 60mm Ball Blue LED Light All-in-one VGA Cooling Kit in its place

WD 40 gig pata

you play a game like HL HL2 doom3 ut2004 ect ect. after like 20-1hour or so the screen would freeze and you would hear sound looping 5 seconds each time it relooped then it went down to 1 second loops REALLY ANOING. then all of a sudden it was back (asuming this is Nvidia's way of recovering the video card.)(Nvidia 6600gt)

i have overclocked and underclocked praticly everything with no change and many driver verions.
i had a ati 9600xt 128mb video card the screen where it says it recovered teh video card from a shut down or something like that. there were a few occations where it said it recovered it but to restart the 3D part of the gpu it had to have a full system reboot.

this happened out of the middle of no where (when i had the ATI 9600xt). the only thing i can think of is the north chipset since i have reformated the computer about 6 times trying to figure out What the... is wrong with the computer. only happens in 3d games and 2 video cards have the same issue.

Edited by RogueComGeek, 21 August 2005 - 08:54 PM.

Advertisements

Stasiek

Stasiek

• PipPip
  • 76 posts
your card might be getting overworked. make sure all drivers are up to date, directx, mobo, sound also making sure the game is patched up to the current version.

if still a no go, you can try another card on your system, you said that 2 cards already did experience problems on your mobo...have you tried to use your video card on another mobo(friends or so) that way you can rule out if it's the card or not

i know i'm not helping much but you never know

RogueComGeek

RogueComGeek

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 141 posts

your card might be getting overworked.  make sure all drivers are up to date, directx, mobo, sound also making sure the game is patched up to the current version.

if still a no go, you can try another card on your system, you said that 2 cards already did experience problems on your mobo...have you tried to use your video card on another mobo(friends or so) that way you can rule out if it's the card or not

i know i'm not helping much but you never know

View Post

yep allready tried both of them on my lil bro's computer works perfectly

Stasiek

Stasiek

• PipPip
  • 76 posts
it's a long shot but is the ram compatible with the mobo? i found a link here http://usa.asus.com/...-d/overview.HTM towards the bottom it list compatible ram.

also if you have the pc overclocked try resetting it to default and see what happens.

you also mentioned the north chipset on the mobo, unless there was something that was done to it physicaly or maybe a power surge which might have occured, if it is the chip then you should be experiencing problems somewhere else and not only the 3d games

RogueComGeek

RogueComGeek

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 141 posts
i had a 512MB pc2100 stick before
now i have 2 512 sticks (dual channel OCZ pack)
same occured.
i tried overclocking and underclocking the motherboard.