Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

computer help screen blank

• Please log in to reply

fioreskater

fioreskater

• PipPip
  • 49 posts
im having problems with a computer i just got when i turn it on the screen stays blank its not the montior its work right now im using it to type
well i got mine off of ebay the guy said he never finished putting it together even tho all he had to do was add ram when i turn on the pc the montior doesnt go on meaning i cant change any settings and the moment i got this it wouldnt go on i tried clearing the cmos and still the montior wont go on my motherboard is a biostar m7vkq socket a amd xp 2000+ processor and 2 128 mb of ram pc 133 also what does oem mean?

Advertisements

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
Hi and welcome to Geeks to Go. Here is a good guide that will help you troubleshoot this, a sticky post at the top of this forum:
http://www.geekstogo...ems-t28727.html
If you don't have a manual for your motherboard, go to the manufacturer's web page and download one. It will be a big help in the troubleshooting process.

OEM means "original equipment manufacturer" Builders get oem parts, usually in plain boxes without manuals, etc. rather than more expensive, retail boxed.

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
Biostar is very good when it comes to product support. You shouldn't have any trouble downloading manuals, drivers, etc., from their website.

fioreskater

fioreskater

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts
thanks i did do all the steps except take the motherboard out since the wholes match up it still wont go on

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Hi,

Could you please clarify what ram it is you have, you mentioned pc133, is it pc 2100 (DDR 266 mhz)

Rick

fioreskater

fioreskater

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts
no i tried using 2 sticks of pc 133 sdram 128mb a peice the motherboard manual says it takes pc 100-133 sdram

Edited by fioreskater, 22 August 2005 - 07:16 PM.

cch3mm

cch3mm

• PipPip
  • 24 posts
This may sound very dumb but it is a common mistake I have seen. Make sure the ram is properly in. Lol, I doubt that is your problem but it may be.

fioreskater

fioreskater

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts
trust me the ram works fine on my old pc which im using now :\ i do insert it right

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
OOps sorry I was looking at specs for the M7VKQ Pro,

Could you explain exactly what happens when you hit the power button?

I think at this point you do need to remove the board from the case and try minimal components as the guide suggests, I would normally say try another video card because you have nothing on the screen but that mobo has onboard graghics so there is the possibility a case short is causing this and you need to eliminate that first.

Rick

fioreskater

fioreskater

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts
when i turn it on the cpu fan goes on and the hard drive other then that theres no beeps our nothing ill try the case thing in a min our so see if that works if it doesnt what should i do

Advertisements

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Well first make sure the case speaker is connected this is important so we can see if the board will beep.

Let me know if you have any video when you remove the mobo from the case and also tell us if anything else changes like the cpu fan or beeps.

Normally if the onboard video is bad the board will beep telling you so but again if there is a case short that may not happen thats why you need to remove it.

fioreskater

fioreskater

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts
wheres the case speaker?

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
the case speaker is normally located in the lower front portion of the case, it connects to the mobo with a red and black wirer if this is not present you could take one out of a old case if you have one

fioreskater

fioreskater

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts
i took the motherboard out and did everything the guide said still no beeps our nothing i did notice that the mouse which is optical did light up but the keyboard didnt

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Can you confirm you have a case speaker connected?

What power suppy do you have? Name, watts and model number

I downloaded a manual for your board and you don't have a agp slot so you would need to try a pci graphics card if you have one to determine if the onboard graghics are good but if there is a case speaker connected that could also tell us if the graghis is not working.

Rick